Barrels of english coins buried in Cross City area
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Barrels of english coins buried in Cross City area

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    Minelab Excalibur II Discovery TF 900
    17 times

Barrels of english coins buried in Cross City area

Anybody have information Alexander Arbuthnot and accomplices buried kegs of coins before they were caught by Andrew Jackson and hung?
    Harp and embrym like this.

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

Re: Barrels of english coins buried in Cross City area

Come on people, alittle help here!!!

Sep 2006
    Fairhope Alabama
    27 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Next time I'm down that way, I should let you know and we can look for it.

Before his execution, Arbuthnot said the kegs are in hi ground in California swamp which is SW of Suwannee Old Town.
    Their Plantation was about 4 miles upriver from mouth of river (name wasnt' given) on the SW fringe of the swamp. The plantation site is not known today.
    I think there is a place on the Suwannee or maybe is was the Steinhtchee that has signs posted that say, "NO you can't metal detect here."
    embrym and Billieg like this.

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

Anybody else out there taht has heard this story, anyone if any documentation that these guys had money. I've heard theories of negotiation right before they were executed but have not found any historical proof. As far as everything else, these guys were the real deal and probably did have some money from trading. Any help here would be appreciated, I live close to the area and want to put an end to this once and for all if it is or isnt true!

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJohn
    Next time I'm down that way, I should let you know and we can look for it.

Before his execution, Arbuthnot said the kegs are in hi ground in California swamp which is SW of Suwannee Old Town.
    Their Plantation was about 4 miles upriver from mouth of river (name wasnt' given) on the SW fringe of the swamp. The plantation site is not known today.
    I think there is a place on the Suwannee or maybe is was the Steinhtchee that has signs posted that say, "NO you can't metal detect here."
    where did you get the info on what Arbuthnot said?

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1880 times
    Shipwrecks

Hey Capt. John, the CA swamp is NW of the town of Suwannee. It is 8 miles S of Old Town. There is no such place as "Suwanee Old Town." I just spent the whole day (yesterday) criss-crossing CA swamp and THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO HIGH GROUND WHATSOEVER. Central FL is in a drought right now and the swamp is barely passible in many areas. You can see the water mark on all the trees. The entire swamp is normally under a minimum of one foot of water. Here is a pic of one of the few dry spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP01146.JPG 
Views:	1573 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	281295  
    Billieg likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    1880 times
    Shipwrecks

Here is a buddy of mine in front of the historic marker locating Jackson's camp.

Name:	DCP01144.JPG 
Views:	1512 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	281296  

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    1880 times
    Shipwrecks

Capt. John,
    have you ever been to the place in this picture? How about Denvervegas?

Name:	DCP01149.JPG 
Views:	2813 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	281298  

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

I have to stick up for Capt John, record books do talk of Oldtown Suwannee as one. Although who knows what the heck they meant when the towns are not even close to each other.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

Shows a old town on the map What did ya find

Name:	river map.gif 
Views:	1971 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	19917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river map.gif 
Views:	1837 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	281315  
    Hitndahed likes this.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

If you look at the map ,i think the california swamp would be the name....santa talosa right hand corner of the map.Thats just me, i have never heard this story....

us
    keep on diggin!!

Jun 2005
    alachua county, FL
    AT MAX
    188 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

i have customers who come into my store from an old town, this is the one i see

Old Town is a community or populated place (Class Code U6) located in Dixie County at latitude 29.601 and longitude -82.982. The elevation is 23 feet. Old Town appears on the Fanning Springs U.S. Geological Survey Map. Dixie County is in the Eastern time zone (GMT -5). Observes DST? Yes. Current Time. | Old Town, FL ZIP Codes

gregg

us
    Jul 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    DFX,XLT, Goldbug
    3 times

Lived in Old Town. It is on St. Rt. 19 today. Suwanee is located today on the Gulf of Mexico. Old town is just north of the Suwanee river. When you get to Suwanee there is some high ground just north of Suwanee. Their is an old house just west of Old Town that was on moving blocks and wa an old plantation and I believe a lumber operation. This area was hugh in the manufacture of Turpentine and a lot of the ground is highly polluted. Cross City which is north on Old town has a road going west to the Gulf which goes to a small park and a boat ramp. The local use it for mullet, clam and oyster harvesting. There is high ground there and I have detected it a little. There is some high ground around Steinhatchee, but most of it is close to the town itself as most everything else is swamp. Hope this helps.
    Billieg likes this.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

Could someone copy and paste the story about the kegs?It may help if i knew some history on the legend,the only one i know is the kegs tossed off the gun boat,civil war era.........

us
    Jan 2005
    Ocala florida
    Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
    1 times

Relicdude07
    Here's the high points of the story, Arbuthnot was a trader who supplied the Indians with powder and lead, Ambrister was English and in the un settled political affairs of the time between US, Spanish, English and Indian nations tried to be a go between the Indians and the English.

Arbuthnot had brought up a shipment of lead and power (which I believe changed hands to the Indians ) when he heard of Jackson and his troops in movement to engage the Indians. Arbuthnot send a letter to his son telling about the troops and to move the goods ASAP, the Indians were gone when Jackson arrived and he was not happy, Blaming the letter as a warning to the Indians Jackson started a military trial . Ambrister gets included sort of as an instagtor stirring up the Indians to fight. The men are to be hung and it is then said they offered the buried gold as a freedom payment, but they were hung, and later Jackson is investigated for his actions, but suffers no long term liability from it as the English do not push the point.

Sort of interesting event, there is alot more to it, but thats the general overview as I recall it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links