Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all,

i know somewhere i read awhile or a long while ago about ppl asking about confederate payroll on a train or being taking off a train in or around archer,fl. Can someone shed some light on this for me, i may have the chance to Detect a pre-civil war home in that area around railroad, and have a few other good details im going to save for later if this pans out...six

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocalasix,

I spent many many hours researching the few bull stories about the treasure being buried in the everglades at two humps etc. etc.

There are all kinds of stories about the loot being buried in Danville, so it never actually left. There is a story about it being buried in Archer, but that was not the treasure, and it was documented being recovered by Union soldiers.

The truth is, there was a man that was with the money and kept a diary of his trip. The money was spent, the last $30,000 left after Jefferson Davis was captured was split between the three men remaining, their guides, and some was set aside for Mrs. Davis. One of the three was documented as spending the money. The other two had turned themselves in to the Union in Jacksonville Seems they probably would not have done that with a huge stash of gold coins on their person. But to believe they never recovered them would be silly. And if they didn't, Northeast Florida is a pretty big place.

TreasureTrain.gif

Jack

OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info, i knew i read it somewhere..lol....person i know has a home build in the 1850's in the archer, florida surrounding area. with ties to the railroad, and did mention the old train did stop on or close to his property. very interesting story so far...he was interested in metal detecting too!!..stay tunede trying to do a little investigating myself on the area.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
April 3,1865,Davis and members of his cabinet boarded the Dannville train with boxes,crates,and barrels of the Confederate treasury-gold and silver specie,bullion,remaining gold assets of Richmond banks,and jewelry donated by southern women for the "CAUSE".The train went to Charlotte,NC to Chester,SC,where part of the treasury was loaded onto wagons and taken to the Marshall family's WHITE HALL PLANTATION in Abbeville,SC.(NOTE:This is the family home of Jehu Foster Marshall who also had a plantation on the OKLAWAHA RIVER in Marion county-see my post under the SWAMP GOLD thread)
From Abbeville the remaining treasury was transported to DIONYSIUS CHENNAULT's plantation in Washington ,Ga,then back to Abbeville (April19),then back to Washington ,Ga (May 3),where the UNION had taken possession.May 24,the plantation was raided by Confederates (rumoured to be led by CSA Sec of War John Breckinridge),and est. $250,000 was taken.
Breckinridge, CSA Sec of State Benjamin made their way to Middleburg,Florida,and met with Col Hubbard L Hart's JAMES BURT steamboat on Black Creek,which took them down the St Johns River to the Oklawaha River to CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock's Ocala home.Breckinridge was given a lifeboat captured from the US Columbine gunboat by Capt J J Dickinson of Marion county,which Breckinridge sailed to Cuba.

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sort of remember cattle ranchers in Cape Coral not taking confederate money and only being paid in gold. Jefferson trying to escape to Cuba to rebuild and so on and so on

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread