Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capt_t said:
Thats alot of money just sitting out there on the bottom of the ocean, supprised someone hasent located it yet.

33 Years since this story

49 Years If I'm subtracting Right since it happend.

I'd be Surprised if someone Didn't by now,
But everyone may feel the same way.
or are afraid of Government Intervention.

it May at Least Deserve Research

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
yeah, even tho it is 25 or so miles out (international waters) we still talking about NASA and the US goverment. my therory on this would be keep the platium, give the capsule back to NASA. Its not like the platium was in space yet. The rocket was un-manned, so its not an underwater grave...just my thoughts....
capt_t

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Interesting Story! Hadn't heard it before! Wonder if the $250k amount was the then or now $ . Thinking about the weight! Sounds doable to me, but wouldn't NASA go after it themselves?

HH Joe

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Checked, Platinum averaged $200 an Oz. in 74. So, @ $2.5M = 12,500 oz.= 1250oz per cylinder= a little over 100# per Cylinder!

Today's Prices= Roughly $15M. Not Bad!

Joe

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Joe, saved me the work of figuring it out,,,I was just getting ready to research those figures.....what was the price of platium in 1968? that might be the figure the article was talking about also.
capt_t

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The Government is not interested in recovering anything that the TAXPAYER has already paid for except for items it can use again like the rocket engines.
If you would check with NASA I know that they have the exacts cords where this stuff hit the ocean. At this time the Cape area was surrounded by Electronic detecting equipment and cameras so there WOULD be a record of where this stuff fell.
Peg Leg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little bit of research i have done so far.the dates are all wrong in that article.NASA began operating in late 1958.the atlas-agena-D wasnt even developed until the late 60's.all the atlas-agena-A's never made it out of the earths atmosphere.all had some type of space science devices on them.no data Solid Platinum Cylinders in a device.

Viper5728

Greenie
Apr 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25mi would put it right in the middle of a trench that is about 5mi deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread