Buried Pirate ship near Century FLorida??

thefastship

Greenie
Aug 31, 2015
Santa Rosa Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello gang!
Does anyone have any information on the rumored buried pirate ship/Indian mounds near Century Florida? I have tried to find more information but have hit a brick wall. Below is all I can find. I will also include the link... Thanks Scott

Indians witnessed an old pirate craft fleeing from a Spanish patrol ship on Pensacola Bay, sailing up the flooded Escambia River in the vicinity of present-day Century. The pirates beached the ship and covered it with sand and rocks in the swamps about 1/2 mile W of the river. Following an old dry channel today, there is a mound nearly 30 feet high and 120 feet long, presumably the covered vessel. In a mound about 1/2 mile N of the ship mound is another mound where treasure is supposed to be buried.

State Treasures

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That story makes zero sense. Who would seriously believe that a ship was beached and then buried with sand an rock? Unless they are talking about a dinghy, that aint happening

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed.
And even if I did happen... that treasure would have been Looooooong gon by the 70's at latest if it was there.

Florida legends and such abounded in Floridas early roots...
Some were based on facts... some spurned from actual finds... and of course... some were completely made up.
Stories of buried treasures have been circulating here for eons...
And...People looked everywhere for treasure here.
Any legend or story was followed up on... and any mounds have long ago (all of which by the 50's) were checked... and or scavenged / looted.

"Treasure hunting" / "Treasue hunters" has/have been rampant here since early human habitation.
Any "story" of "treasure" being somewhere in Florida has been long ago... been "checked out"... and prolly hundreds of times.
Unless...
You are the only one who knows the story.
OR...
No one was able to locate it.
In either case ... you are screwed ... because tampering with a "mound" of any means in this state will get you locked up.

But rest assured you are not missing out on any treasure in a mound...
For A mound would have been the first place the old timers would have looked.

CaptainSandune

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a buried 1700's vessel in the Escambia river when it was very low this year. This vessel was actually in the river but from what I understand the river has been moving west over the years. This one was covered in sand and mud except for the bow and there were lots of small rocks around it. I found it by metal detecting in the river. Initially I thought it was a stump but the keel had lead on it. I contacted the UWF archeology department and they seemed interested but never followed up with me on it. Very close to this wreck is the Mission de Escambia, a Spanish mission that was on the river from 1740-1770. Ironically one of the archaeologist relayed the story that is mentioned above and said that if it were their find they would loot it. I have left it alone but it has peaked my interest. I did not know the wooden vessel was as old as it is until the archaeologist told me the lined the keels with lead in the 1700s.

brafuller17

Apr 16, 2016
Pensacola FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local wanting more info please.

I am new to the sight but to the person who found the ship on the Escambia river, perhaps we can meet up and you can show me the location. We can search together for the treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread