jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Palatka news and advertiser. (Palatka, Fla.), 31 July 1902.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

The Palatka news and advertiser. (Palatka, Fla.) 1902-1905, July 31, 1902, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
During the War o Northern Aggression, Lola Sanchez of Palatka was a spy for the Florida Confederacy, providing intelligence of Union gunboat activity on the St Johns River It was her information that enabled CSA Capt J J Dickinson and his cavalry to capture and sink the USS COLUMBINE near Horse Landing on the St Johns.
Her father was thought by the Union to be he spy, and was imprisoned at Fort Marion in St Augustine.
She also aided Confederates Benjamin, Breckinridge, and Wood during their escape though Florida, and Breckinridge and Wood stayed with her relatives in Cuba.
It could be possible this is the Mr Sanchez mentioned in the newspaper article.

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live about 20 miles from Palatka. I'm very interested in this. I tried searching property appraisers and old census but I can't locate where the property was..... any ideas?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Jeff said, this is something you local guys should get at it!

You might talk to the local historical society, and by all means go find some elderly locals who would just love company and a chance to talk to anyone who would listen to them and appreciate them.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks for bringing up this topic/thread from the past.

This legend does not deal with Palatka. The news clip is only being reported by the Palatka News. The Moultrie area is south of St. Augustine. Keep in mind that US1 is a modern convenience and that the travel and development occurred around what are considered secondary roads today. There is a length of road called Old Moultrie Road. The Dupont family had a large property further south (the intersection of US1/SR-206 is referred to as Dupont Corners). And to this day, the old Dupont home is still standing in the woods and can be seen from the parking lot of the south branch library. Sanchez is also a well-known family in St. Johns county and had numerous land holdings west of town. I don't know a specific parcel that would be associated with the Futch name. But likely, there isn't anything remaining. There isn't a blade of grass or scrape of dirt that hasn't been disturbed/developed along the Old Moultrie Road. This legend would have likely born fruit if it had been researched/explored back in the 70's or 80's.

If anyone wants to do more research on this and are local to St. Augustine, send me a PM and we'll see if we can at least locate where the Futch Farm was.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could get an idea of how big Moultrie was at the turn of the century, you might be able to narrow down sites by roads that led seven miles from town. The article states that Futch place was seven miles from town. Does that no brainer idea get me a cut:laughing7:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If you could get an idea of how big Moultrie was at the turn of the century, you might be able to narrow down sites by roads that led seven miles from town. The article states that Futch place was seven miles from town. Does that no brainer idea get me a cut:laughing7:

Well, distance measured isn't as straight as the crow flies. I question the 7 miles, because if you use the roads that existed back then, 7 miles doesn't get you far. If it was an accurate measurement, then it is likely under the road of Old Moultrie Road and SR-312. I'm curious so I'm willing to dig around in the public record archives just to get an idea. But again, paradise has been paved and put up a parking lot.

Tahoe

Jun 30, 2008
Austin TX
I was lucky and found General Land Office records on Ancestry that gives the surveyors' description of Joshua Futch's property in Moultrie: Township 8 South, Range 29 East, Section 24. He had over 70 acres.

Deesherman

Aug 23, 2018
Palm Bay,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
futch

Friggin' oak roots.

Searched the area yesterday. The property has been totally overgrown or built on. The areas that looks like farmland is all planted over with pine trees any structures in that area would have been destroyed by the planting of the trees.Its super difficult to detect the between the pines because of the overgrowth along the RR tracks there are thousands of targets but its all discarded metal trash from the building and repair of tracks.
I wont be going back there. Found a old map that shows exactly where the futch ranch was. 36565 futch.jpg

Last edited:

Deesherman

Aug 23, 2018
Palm Bay,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
futch

Yes I did 36565 futch.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-1423 futch.JPG