Confederate Gold

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I live in callahan , florida --(named after yulee's rail road foreman ) the next town over from me to the east along state road 200 is called YULEE -- yulee was a jewish --the first rep from florida as a state --senator yulee --the first jewish senator * a wealthy and powerful man --he set up the railroad from fernandina to cedar key to transport cargo across the neck of florida so that it did not have to go on sailing vessels around the tip of florida (and the dangerous keys area) to get into the gulf of mexico -- since florida was only made a state in 1845 a mere 15 years before the civil war broke out ---( and many iof floridas inhabitants had mixed feeling about it even then ) since florida had been an english colony (1763 to 1783) during the rev warabout 100 years before but had remained british loyal at the time --- basically the USA bought florida from spain for 5 millon in 1819 and it was like being a US citizen or leave basically . -- when florida broke free of the USA in 1860 ---YULEE resigned and backed the south not in a "offical" elected position but rather as a behind the scene "money" man -- helping with raising funds from folks abroad and advising fiscal policy --- the state of florida was vital to the souths war effort --florida provided lots of salt and beef for the confederate armies--- the cattle were gathered down south near the tampa area and were drove northward for shipment to the confederate armies by the * whip cracker cowboys* of florida--- later on in the war cattle breeders did not want confederate paper money for their cattle they wanted "real" money --gold or at least silver -- money was often brought in via the blockade runners who brought funds from the sale of cotton in nassau and from foreign backers isssued notes by the confederate govt -- with highly favorible returns should the south win. -- a union raid on the fort that normally bought the beef for shipment to the north made the confederate paymaster flee the fort with the funds to avoid its being captured by the union forces --- thus the source of the "tales"

ghost_rider

Apr 20, 2008
Azza,

I sent you a personal message a long while back and you didn't respond. I will post a similar message here.

I am a 5th generation Floridian and historian. As mention my grandmother currently lives on the former Cotton Wood Plantation in Archer; this being said I have NOT searched the area on researched records. The current property owner of Cottonwood is a descendent of Yulee, my grandmother rents from this gentleman.

I have spoken with the current owner numerous times and he is not aware of any arranged digs that have ever been conducted on his property, perhaps the previous post dug elsewhere but it wasn't on Cottonwood; remember the plantation was very large and was pretty much the current town of Archer. Anywhere you dig in Archer you are digging on the Cottonwood.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention here is the fact that David Yulee was known as the Railroad King at the time. Yulee was the controling stock holder of the Florida RR company and was receiving large amounts of property and money from the State of Florida, this is how he got so much property. Yulee owned several towns such as Cedar Key, Cottonwood, Fernandina and many more. Is buisness partners, who I have documented, also owned several port communities throughout the state.

With Yulee's interest in FLorida he could receive anything he wanted from the Confederate Blockade's and then could move it thourghout the state.

Back to the gold, the treasure that is lost in Archer is NOT the same treasure that is lost in the Everglades. In fact it is reported that there is about $2000 in gold buried in Archer. There was a larger portion of the treasury that did arrive in Archer but this money was split and divided, some given to Mrs. Yulee, and ONE soldier buried his in fear that he would be captured. This money was paid to those who had acted a security for the car load of treasure from Richmond, which dwindled along the way. By time the train reached Archer it contained the personal possesion of Jeff Davis and some records of the CSA Govt'. Yulee ordered these to be buried in the cow barn on his Cottonwood Plantation, which was done. After recieving word that the Union was on their way, Yulee ordered the paper and personal possesion to be unearthed and moved down the RR line to Starke, however the Union captured the train before it made it to Starke!!!! There was NO money on the captured train, ONLY personal possesion and CSA records!!!!

Please keep in mind this is a summarized version of several years of research of military documents and personal correspondents of the Yulee Family during the Civil War.

I do have plans and permission to search the Cottonwood this summer, I wait till the hottest part of the year instead of the cold, I can't stand the cold!!!! I have also documented exactly where the RR ran through as this is where the Confederate were camped protecting the cargo of the train.

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
If you really want to know what happened to the Confederate treasury that was traveling with Jefferson Davis before he was captured then you should go to the library and find a copy of "Flight into Oblivion" by ___________ Hanna. It will explain very much in detail what was buried near Archer and later dug up only to be captured by the Yankees within a few days. It provides a detailed inventory of everything that was found, including a "doubled-barrel revolver", which I have never heard of. It also provides a complete accounting of what happened to the remains of the Confederate treasury after Lee surrendered. It's an interesting book but sometimes get bogged down with providing background on the characters. It is the story of what happened to Jefferson Davis and his entire cabinet when they took flight to avoid capture by the Union forces. Some were captured and some escaped to Cuba. But the interesting fact was that none of them served more than 10 months in prison. Some were out in 3 or 4 months. And you would think that if they knew where any gold was hidden they would have gone back to retrieve it.

This book was very well researched and provides an extensive bibliography of several pages of references, including diaries of some of the characters

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobInFla said:
If you really want to know what happened to the Confederate treasury that was traveling with Jefferson Davis before he was captured then you should go to the library and find a copy of "Flight into Oblivion"

I agree, I actually read the entire diary in the Florida Historical Quarterly after I had posted here. It seems somewhat obvious that the treasure legend was likely more like wishful thinking than fact.

Jack

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually know a customer of mine who lives in Archer Florida, and owns some land, that dates before the civil war,im looking into it, he actually is interested in Md'ing his property since the age of it and the home...hmmmmm...i may have to give him a call soon..

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobInFla wrote:

"It provides a detailed inventory of everything that was found, including a "doubled-barrel revolver", which I have never heard of."

That sounds like something that might make that story a little less likely...but it actually makes it much more believable!

The Le Mat revolver had two barrels...a 9-shot cylinder fed barrel on top, and a 16-gauge shotgun barrel on the bottom, an "over & under" type, set-up.

It was also considered "Confederate" and you can still buy brand new, firing replicas, as well as non-firing display models. It also appears alot in movies and books. It would be totally believable for one to be with that group.

Here is a decent overview of the gun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at this thread and a few of the others dealing with this topic, and don't know how much to believe, and how much is just treasure lore...

The facts would tend to narrow things down a bit.

Judah Benjamin stayed for some time at the Gamble Plantation and Capt. Frederick Tresca's house on the south side of the Manatee River. Tresca was paid $1,500 + expenses to run the blockade with Benjamin. Tresca's wife said she sewed pleats into Benjamin's vest and waistband to conceal gold coins. He left out of Sarasota Bay. He also was reported to have traveled south to the Manatee river on horseback, disguised as a farmer. I don't think he was with any other travelers fleeing the Federals, but it is obvious that the Manatee river inhabitants were helpful with the fleeing government members...but they were also forthcoming years later with what all happened, and never mentioned others that I am aware of.

That being said....I've never read any of the accounts mentioned... "Flight Into Oblivion", etc., but if others made it that far south or farther, with any gold, it was probably just what they could cary on their persons. Remember that Fl had Union and Confederate soldiers and forts during the war, and most cities were divided in their loyalties, so it was risky to draw any attention to yourself in that situation.

If they did make it that far with a serious amount of gold and paper currency...I don't think they were trudging through the actual "Everglades" with a wagon load of it! Think about all the trouble the soldiers during the second and third Seminole Wars had in that area....Even with support of supply depots and forts in the areas, they came out of the swamp half naked, starved, and bug-eaten just after a few days, and that was with canoes, a support system in place, and just what they needed to have to carry with them.

It is much more probable that the fleeing men were in boats, and went down one of the rivers, and not too far into the actual swamps or Everglades.

If I were to look for this treasure today (totally hypothetically of course), and with my background in logistics, I would do it something like this:

About 6 people on a 24ft pontoon boat (lots of room and a shallow draft to get into places a deep hulled boat couldn't), towing a 10 or 12ft Jon boat to get into the smaller creeks (and to store extra gear and fuel...in big fuel cans). A couple of Honda 90 trail bikes on the front deck of the pontoon boat (for exploring the dried up creeks and tributaries, since so much drainage has occured), camping gear with redundant food, fuel, and saftey equipement, all the camping permits that might be required, and I don't know what the legalities of taking guns into State parks is...but I would want at least a .233 rifle, and a 12-gauge shotgun plus a couple of handguns for the total group for security...NO METAL DETECTORS...but some folding camp shovels...you know, to dig latreens and what-not. If the creek fork with two hills rising between them like a camel's hump showed up...there wouldn't be much digging required anyway...they would have only had hand tools as well.

If someone found something....there is always those, now empty, fuel cans...or stash some on the way back in a spot you could drive to later.

I would start at the Manatee River first since there is so much precident for fleeing CSA officials in that area, then the Caloosahatchee...maybe the Peace, but it ends up, like the Manatee, in an area a long way from the Everglades, but who is to say what some strangers to the area would consider the "Everglades".

Nothing would probably come from it other than a few fun camping trips down the river, and an adventure or two, but you could always say you went on some real treasure hunts for lost Confederate gold!

It makes for good "armchair" treasure hunting anyway.......

theEmmaPearl

Jan 15, 2019
Yonkers,Ny
Detector(s) used
A couple really old ones, my daughters for shits and giggles, and the Forager is always in my car ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump it 👆 .... Looking for land permission in Nassau County 2019!

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread but I live in Fl 48 yrs now and they never got farther than Archer Fl. The gold was divided in Archer FL. and they split elsewhere.

Dj3182

Jul 29, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am new to this forum and starting my adventure.

I just recently purchased a large tract of land in Archer and believe it was part of the old Cottonwood Plantation. From what I have been told is that there are descendants of people who lived on the property still living in the area. Can anyone point me in a direction where i might be able to to find old maps or deeds that show the exact location of the Cottonwood boundaries?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am new to this forum and starting my adventure.

I just recently purchased a large tract of land in Archer and believe it was part of the old Cottonwood Plantation. From what I have been told is that there are descendants of people who lived on the property still living in the area. Can anyone point me in a direction where i might be able to to find old maps or deeds that show the exact location of the Cottonwood boundaries?
I don't know a lot about it, as I'm down in Saint Petersburg, FL... just over the Skyway Bridge from the historic Gamble Plantation, which is right down the street from my in-laws house. In fact, I've been wanting to secure permission to metal detect the church property right across the street from the old Sugar Mill ruins that were owned & operated by Gamble back in the day.

This article seemed to show a lot of photos up there in Archer, where this guy believed the Plantation to be. I've never been up that way, though we have visited the historic Yulee Sugar Mill ruins in Homosassa.

https://medium.com/as-good-as-it-gets/walk-to-the-pond-bb731437b82c

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually know a customer of mine who lives in Archer Florida, and owns some land, that dates before the civil war,im looking into it, he actually is interested in Md'ing his property since the age of it and the home...hmmmmm...i may have to give him a call soon..
Hey buddy! Did you see this guy's recent post about his land in Archer? Sorry, I know I'm digging up your old post from 11 years ago... but... [emoji2375][emoji16]

Bran <><

Wheeler5656

Greenie
Jul 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Popular tale.Log entry supposedly said that they were being chased by the
enemy up a river in the Everglades and had to bury the payroll of currency
and gold at a fork in the river where the land rose like a camel's back.
That describes a lot of rivers and a lot of locations from the Fla.straights
to Marco.Someone would have to get the original log and plot the
movements of that boat.I would think the original crew would have gone
back for that at a later time,but who knows if any lived long enough,or
could find the spot again.Would need to have a deep seeking PI unit,and
it's probably in the National Park,and they frown on that sort of thing
Good Luck on the venture.
I heard that version also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread