Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Confederate Gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2008

Confederate Gold

Does anyone have some more information on Confederate gold buried deep in the Everglades? I have read about it a couple of times, but my limited research has proved fruitless. I have heard that it is well documented and has something to do with a Confederate paymaster on the run from Union forces in the swamps of the Everglades. Any help?

us
    Feb 2007
    Springfield, MA
    Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Confederate Gold

Hi Azza,

I have been looking at this for some time, as have many on this board.

There are 3 or 4 major theories that I have seen.

1. The gold was dropped near the begining of the trip.
    2. The gold was all spent.
    3. The gold was divided in Archer FL.
    4. It was buried somewhere in the Everglades.

There are others too.

Jack
    Make sure and punish the many for the actions of a few!

Feb 2008

Alright, that's a few different theories. How can I begin to research or verify any of them? Supposedly this is a "well documented" cache, according to a book by Robert Marx.

paddy.mick

I've heard this story from almost everyone living near any spring, river, or coast. Lake County is popular and so is Cedar Key area as well as the Caloosahatchee River.
    Good luck in the muck,
    Pat

Jun 2007

Popular tale.Log entry supposedly said that they were being chased by the
    enemy up a river in the Everglades and had to bury the payroll of currency
    and gold at a fork in the river where the land rose like a camel's back.
    That describes a lot of rivers and a lot of locations from the Fla.straights
    to Marco.Someone would have to get the original log and plot the
    movements of that boat.I would think the original crew would have gone
    back for that at a later time,but who knows if any lived long enough,or
    could find the spot again.Would need to have a deep seeking PI unit,and
    it's probably in the National Park,and they frown on that sort of thing
    Good Luck on the venture.

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II
    186 times
    Shipwrecks

When I read this, one place jumped out at me. Where the Shark and Harney rivers come together there are 3 small islands. One of them is taller than the others. That could be described as a camels hump.

This subject has been discussed on other forums. There is one tnet member (can't remember who) that claims he knows exactly where it is. The area I mentioned is in the Everglades Park. GO GET IT!

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    857 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by azza
    Does anyone have some more information on Confederate gold buried deep in the Everglades? I have read about it a couple of times, but my limited research has proved fruitless. I have heard that it is well documented and has something to do with a Confederate paymaster on the run from Union forces in the swamps of the Everglades. Any help?
    Wow, this is a lot more information than I got when I asked the same question.
    Its well documented in all the Treasure books, but all the same couple a lines. Capt John Riley...Confederate payroll...chased by Union forces... buried in west hump...captured...blah blah blah.

Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by dpthunter
    We ( www.oldcharter.com ) spent a couple of years searching the Old Cottonwood Plantation in Archer, Fl, and we can tell you this one fact for certain...THERE IS NO TREASURE LEFT IN ARCHER FLORIDA!!! We actually located the empty holes where the treasure had been buried in May of 1865 and subsequently later removed by the same Confederate Officers who buried it! We are currently in possession of what we consider to be the most accurate time line of REALLY HAPPENED to Jefferson Davis' Gold at the end of the Civil War. The owner of the Property actually has the original Bronze Placard that was Placed at the site by the Daughter's of the Confederacy, I'll have to dig the picture out for everyone to see...god only knows which file it's in...lol. Here's an old map we found of the area...Enjoy!

P.S. YES THERE IS A LARGE TREASURE IN THE EVERGLADES...BUT I"M NOT TELLING WHERE Let's just say that it comes in really nice with the Treasure Navigator www.treasurenow.com
    Check out Thomas Terry's Treasure Atlas Vol #3
    Well, it appears that I may be barking up the wrong tree, but seeing as I am as green as they come, I won't fret it. Do you have any good leads I might want to explore in depth? That is other than the large treasure in the everglades that you don't want to give any hints about.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times

Well, it appears that I may be barking up the wrong tree, but seeing as I am as green as they come, I won't fret it. Do you have any good leads I might want to explore in depth? That is other than the large treasure in the everglades that you don't want to give any hints about.
    Dont feel bad Azza. The reason nobody helped you, is because nobody knows anything about it. I have been asking the same question here on TN for at least two years. You need to research yourself and dont turn away from any clue.... Does anyone have Thomas Terry's Treasure Atlas Vol #3? 8)

The guy with the large treasure appears to be promoting his LRL. But who knows?

BTW Where do you live Azza?

Feb 2008

I live in Jax, Northeast FL.

What's an LRL? I am unfamiliar with that acronym.

Also, I guess I should say that I am very new to this treasure hunting, but very enthusiastic. It's not that I don't want to search for small treasures (i.e. gold dubloons and such), but I figure if I am going to invest some serious time in my life into something I love I am going to go for the gold (excuse the pun). So, I guess what I mean is are there any other good leads not just for the confederate gold, but also other treasures of profound value. I have read a lot about Billy Bowlegs, but there seems to be more than one famous man with that name.

I like a good mystery and if I see the worth behind the mystery I am going to exert all my energy into that goal and I figure I want to start my treasure hunting with something that is reasonably possible to be in existence rather than something that is so far fetched that I would be wasting my time (Gasparilla).

us
    "WP"

May 2005
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    White's IDX Pro, Vibraprobe 570, Minelab Explorer XS w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Sunray Stealth X-12 DD Coil
    76 times
    History, Metal Detecting, and Survival & Self-Sufficiency

Quote Originally Posted by bigcypresshunter
    Does anyone have Thomas Terry's Treasure Atlas Vol #3? 8)
    Yes... I have Volume 3
    Regardless, the treasure would be buried on Seminole land... and they don't have to answer to the government if "something" happens to someone trespassing on their land, but rather to their tribal counsel. And for that, they can get away with alot.

Bran <><
    Rom. 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Rom. 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times

Quote Originally Posted by godisnum1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcypresshunter
    Does anyone have Thomas Terry's Treasure Atlas Vol #3? 8)
    Yes... I have Volume 3
    Regardless, the treasure would be buried on Seminole land... and they don't have to answer to the government if "something" happens to someone trespassing on their land, but rather to their tribal counsel. And for that, they can get away with alot.

Bran <><
    There is a way around that if the payroll does infact lie within the Seminole boundaries. What does the Treasure Atlas have to say about the Everglades?

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times

I live in Jax, Northeast FL.

What's an LRL? I am unfamiliar with that acronym.

I like a good mystery and if I see the worth behind the mystery I am going to exert all my energy into that goal and I figure I want to start my treasure hunting with something that is reasonably possible to be in existence rather than something that is so far fetched that I would be wasting my time (Gasparilla).
    Long Range Locator

The Everglades Confederate Payroll is one of the hardest, may be already found, and could even be a made up tale. Not the best Treasure for someone living in Jax. You may have been given a tip to look in the Treasure Atlas Vol. 3 and you missed it. Why dont you start with something local?

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times

Your post is attracting some attention azza, read almost 400 times. Here's my old Swamp Gold post from 2005.
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,20965.0.html

Feb 2008

Thank you for that thread, I will certainly read it when I don't have a couple of whiskeys in me and about to fall asleep. Here's the thing. I know that it may not be the treasure I should start with (confederate gold), but I had to start asking somewhere. I am really interested in any good leads on treasure. Perhaps in St. Aug, perhaps somewhere further in Florida and even the Carribean or further, but I don't know where to start. Finding treasure is like searching for a needle in a haystack and I want to find out what the smallest haystacks are so I don't start looking for something that is a longshot even for the most seasoned treasure hunter.

If I am off to the wrong start with the Confederate Gold perhaps you guys have some other ideas I could peruse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links