Bill Sneeds Treasure - Lakeland, Florida

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Bill Sneed's Treasure - Lakeland, Florida

Here is a treasure legend I came across that I thought you Florida dwellers might be interested in.

----------
The world is replete with legends of lost treasure. It really is an impressive list too - you have the secreted Oak Island bounty, the entire city of El Dorado, and even the secretly buried results of Captain Kidd's years of high-seas plundering. The problem with all those is - no one really knows where to look.

One treasure, though, has a pretty specific location - the old Wilmary Motel in Lakeland, Florida. Bill Sneed used to operate that motel, and he's said to have hidden some $625,000 in gold bullion somewhere on the property.

Sharpen your shovels and prepare to kick down some drywall - hecklerspray's sending you treasure hunting. And literally too - for $625,000 in gold bullion. The glittering-take was discovered by treasure hunter Bill Sneed, who also operated the Wilmary Motel in Lakeland, Florida during the 1950s.

Sneed claimed he found the loot in the mouth of the Suwannee River, and the small bit he stumbled-upon was only a portion of a lost $5,000,000 jackpot. Coin World says:

"F.L. Coffman reported that "an old treasure hunter, Bill Sneed," found $625,000 in gold bullion and coins at the mouth of the Suwanee River, a part of a treasure of gold coins valued at $5,000,000. The present writer knew Bill Sneed, who in the 1950s operated the Wilmary Motel in Lakeland, Florida."

Word on the street is Sneed didn't spend a dime of that bullion. He kept it all, showing people samples only occasionally. Further word on the street is the treasure hunter hid his find either in the Wilmary Motel, or on its premise somewhere. Seems like a quick investment in a metal detector should pay off pretty easily then, right?

Well not quite. A quick Switchboard.com search for a Wilmary Motel address resulted in zero returns - meaning the motel must have switched names, traded hands or been demolished altogether. As if that's not discouraging enough, Coin World also says of the old treasure hunter who found the bullion:

"[Sneed] enjoyed regaling his acquaintances with tall tales, but had relatively few rare coins as evidence to verify his finds."

On the bright side, 'relatively few' is a far cry from none. Of course this doesn't mean the treasure verifiably exists.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Re: Bill Sneed's Treasure - Lakeland, Florida

allen_idaho:

If F.L. Coffman "said" (wrote) it - well, then it was definately recorded.

As to whether it was accurate is quite another story...

Is your source a Coin World article? Would you please be so kind as to cite the source?

As to the reliability of Mr. Coffman's works, I will presently be posting his "Pancho Villa Treasure Map" along with where it appears he got it - just as reliable...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
allen_idaho

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho

Yes, the article is from Coin World. I thought that was in the post somewhere. Maybe not.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

allen_idaho:

Do you have the date of that Coin World article?

Thanx!

~The Old Bookaroo

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900

Jimi D

Interesting scenario regarding William F Sneed of Lakeland. According to the below newspaper articles, there seemed to be some controversy as to what was really found.

Sept. 10 1953 - Two boys find coins and large brass key - Sneed hooks up with them.
Sept. 12 1953 - Picture of Sneed with coins and key.
Nov 24 1953 - Article indicates 4500 gold and 3500 silver coins - Where did these counts come from???
Nov 25 1953 - (Tampa Times) Count goes down to 30 coins.
Nov 25 1953 - (Orlando Sentinel) Sneed says his remarks were misinterpreted and there was no "big find". Said he was half-asleep when being interviewed by WMBR TV's Tommy Tucker and doesn't recall what he told reporters. Sneed says in this article that he found 2 gold coins.

This whole scenario is very interesting and could be interpreted as a cover-up or just plain media hype. I myself think there was a significant find.

If you can't read the articles below, hold the ctrl key down and press the + (plus sign) on your keyboard. Pictures should enlarge with each time you press the + sign. The - (minus sign) will reduce the pictures back to their original size. If that does not work on your PC, you can just download them and view them with IE any photo software.

sept 10 1953.JPG (67.45 KB, 598x606 - viewed 899 times.)

Sept 12 1953.JPG (42.48 KB, 212x566 - viewed 899 times.)

Nov 24 1953.JPG (32.75 KB, 180x481 - viewed 888 times.)

Nov 25 1953.JPG (39.61 KB, 240x502 - viewed 886 times.)

Nov 25 1953 Part 1 Orlando Sentinel.JPG (48.57 KB, 205x587 - viewed 877 times.)

Nov 25 1953 Part 2 Orlando Sentinel.JPG (48.82 KB, 251x480 - viewed 872 times

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900

What happened to Sneed that he did not use or give the coins to family. He just hid them and vanished?

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Wilmary was torn down in the late 60's, according to my source from the historical society in Lakeland. She said it was near the corner of Walnut though, which doesn't quite match the address on record (a few blocks off). I'll check it out on the Sandborn Maps at the public library next time I'm down there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions