Anybody hear of a underwater pyramid in Vero Beach? Treasure Hunter Conway?

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
When I was doing some research at the Orlando Library I came across a 1980's article about a supposedly
underwater pyramid off Vero Beach. This structure was found by a treasure hunter called Conway and had
support from a film director in NYC. It caused quite a stir in the archeology community at the time.

Has anybody here, heard of this before? Anybody know who Conway was? I tried to find his number but
could not as I wanted to find out what eventually happened. There is another salvage expert by the name of
Chisholm that is mentioned in the story.

I have more parts of this story if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• vero2.jpg
    vero2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,855

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't personly heard about it, but how interesting.

Please post the rest of the story.

Thanks ahead of a time.

Salvor007

Dec 17, 2007
I have heard about this "pyramid formation" from a friend of mine, who described it to me about 10 years ago. He said when he stood on the top of it, his head was above water. It is off Indian River Shores...I won't say more until I talk to him again. I always thought he was BS'ing me!

I think Conway was a treasure hunter who worked mainly in the Keys. There was another story about him in the Orlando Sentinel last year about a cannon he found and gave to the city of Mt. Dora and they were trying to trace the origins of it.

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
I heard about a pyramid found in the Everglades and have seen pictures of some short walls that looked like building foundations. These are old and probably date before the Indians moved here. I plan on going down there sometime but it's very remote.

Lets find out where the underwater pyramid is and go check it out. I have dive gear.

Don't forget that water levels used to be a lot lower than they are today.

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Do you have an underwater camera? I'm including a lot of photos with my writings. Glad to see that my post created some
interest. I will upload the remainder of the article as it might give us some more tips to this site's whereabouts.

I'm also interested in those pictures of the pyramid in the glades. This doesn't surprise me though. The Calusa Indians
that lived in the Naples area were very advanced.

Nugget Hog said:
I heard about a pyramid found in the Everglades and have seen pictures of some short walls that looked like building foundations. These are old and probably date before the Indians moved here. I plan on going down there sometime but it's very remote.

Lets find out where the underwater pyramid is and go check it out. I have dive gear.

Don't forget that water levels used to be a lot lower than they are today.

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
The never could find the photos of the pyramid but I did have some of the short walls but I lost them due to a crashed hard drive. I do have the info in a file somewhere. I'll have to dig it out. The pyramid was originally spotted by a blimp flying over and was inspected by some University professor... but the information was never released as far as I can tell. Sometimes they like to hold the information because of treasure hunters... if you can believe that.. :icon_pirat:
I had waterproof housings for my dig cam and my mini dv for when I went to the Amazon but had to sell them when I needed money.
Those cheap underwater disposables do pretty good as long as you don't take them too deep.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Under Floridas very strong right to information law, a state or lower employee CANNOT withhold information. There are certain (and numerous) very specific exceptions. If a government employee refuses access, they are in violation of state law. You can literally go to your county offices and look through peoples desks.

A lawsuit involving refusal of information goes immediately to the TOP of the court docket. You do not need to identify yourself or explain why you want the information.

Maybe it's time for Floridians to assert their "Freedom of Information" rights, and do some in depth research in Tallahassee. Wanna go through whatshername (the head "archeologist) desk and rolodex??

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Attached is another part of the article. Mostly Filler.

Attachments

• vero2.jpg
    vero2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,831
  • vero2.jpg
    vero2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,249
  • vero2.jpg
    vero2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,260

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
He can't find the exact spot of a 30 foot pyramid? Sounds kind of fishy to me. Loran C was pretty accurate as was looking on shore for markers, etc. I don't think I would forget where I found something like that.
Anyone else have an opinion about this? I would think that Nat Geo would have did a show on this if it was found.
Someone mentioned a friend of his finding a pyramid structure.. any more information on this?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sounds fishy to me too. There are a lot of divers that dive that area and no one else has seen it since the 80's? Kind of hard to believe.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Aquanut is right, Wormrock, been there, stood on it and swam over it. Also, that's Wabasso, not Vero.

Deepsix

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Sorry I don't see it. What number should I be looking at? My eye first goes to the circle with number one but
I don't see how that is an anomaly.

skipwiley said:
Was looking at the cool Google/NOAA mashup at:

http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/

and found this anomaly, could be related, I found this spot interesting before I read this post

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Yes, the number 1 with the circle around it. It's an anomaly because the water depth is 10 to 20 feet and then you have one foot. This is how the top of the pyramid would be marked.
I can't believe someone doesn't know where this is.(if it's real) I have a kayak and might go poking around if it isn't too far offshore. You would think that you could see it with sat maps.

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Did you go out with your kayak to visit the spot? Any chance you could record the GPS coordinates on it?

Nugget Hog said:
Yes, the number 1 with the circle around it. It's an anomaly because the water depth is 10 to 20 feet and then you have one foot. This is how the top of the pyramid would be marked.
I can't believe someone doesn't know where this is.(if it's real) I have a kayak and might go poking around if it isn't too far offshore. You would think that you could see it with sat maps.

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Don't let this die. I never did go out there with my kayak. I fly powered paragliders now. I'm thinking I could fly out there and see it. Not on the top of my treasure hunting list though. lol

Does anyone have any more information about this? IF this pyramid was out of water when built it would put it 10,000+ years ago, I believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions