Lost gold locations in Ga

gold4me

Greenie
Dec 29, 2008
Floyd co. Gold bars are said to be hid.
Forsyth co. Eight pots of gold are said to be hid.
Gilmer co. Lost silver mine.
Gwinnett co. lost gold mine.
Habersham co. two lost gold mines.
Meriwether co lock box of gold and silver coins are said to be hid.
Murray co. Gold bullion is said to be hid.
Troup co. Chest of gold and silver coins are said to hid.
Whitfield co. Lost gold mine and two robber stashes are said to be hid.
Union co. Large amounts of gold ore is said to be hid.
Cherokee co. Cherokee indians hid gold in cave by waterfall

Im currently looking more in to these and would like any help yall can offer or team up an help search. I have more accurate details and locations to those listed above. Im using old newspapers,books, internet and cherokee indian tribal traditions and legends book

georgia girl

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2006
northwest georgia
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum u
I live in Whitfield County, at the Catoosa County line. All my life I have heard about a lost silver mine. Supposedly a man by the name of Thompson was friends with the local indians and they showed him the entrance to a cave or mine that contained silver. I don't know if the silver had been poured into bars or if it was ore. But the story goes that he marked the spot by putting a hatchet into a tree, and that he never could find the location of the mine after that. This man was either Warren Thompson father or grandfather and if Mr. Thompson was still living he would be at least a 100 years old or better. I wonder if his Cherokee friends showed him when they were being forced out of the area (trail of tears) The mine is suppose to be located in the Houston Valley area.

I have been told of several caves in the area. One family named Wright had one in the back of their property that is suppose to have indian drawings in it.

And of course there is the infamous Waterhouse treasure.

OP
OP
G

gold4me

Greenie
Dec 29, 2008
Somewhere in the area of Hwy 201 crosses Cahulla creek there are stories of a large stash of gold bullion near an old stage station and it comes up in reference to the missing bullion also in Whitfield county. And near the town of Varnell and near Face mtn a well worked gold mine existed before the white settlers arrived. I hope this helps you.

Jaw Jah Danny

May 2, 2009
Thomasville, GA
Detector(s) used
MXT ,Tesoro Compadre ,Tesoro Tiger Shark, DFX
I'd be interested in helping. In the Fall. Just need a place to put up a tent.

" I'm your huckleberry "

riverguy

May 23, 2009
Lost Gold mine in Gwinnett

I wouldn't put much faith in this one. Gwinnett county is pretty much out of the gold belt that lies between two geological faults. It does pinch and extends down to villa rica and I have found some gold there. But now I guess that is all wall to wall neighborhoods, I panned there 18 years ago.

John

GOLDHUNTER2009

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2010
Re: Lost Gold mine in Gwinnett

I definitely think that the Gwinnett county story is questionable. Most of gwinnett is filled up with concrete now. I went to school at North Georgia college back in the day and camped near a couple of old mines near Dawsonville so I know that there are old mining holes everywhere. I am very interested in the Cherokee County stories. If anyone has indian markings on their property please pm. I have been researching this particular area and story for several months now and believe that there is credible info.

georgia3

Jul 19, 2011
Minstrel said:
I have 904 listing for gold treasure and ghost towns in the state of Georgia--too many to list here--any certain county you especially are interested in?
Minstrel
Any info on Catoosa and Walker counties?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOLD DEPOSITS OF GEORGIA by S. Percy Jones, Georgia geological survey #19, 1909, 283 pages.
Alot of the so called missing gold mines are listed in this book. There were alot of gold mines in Gwinnett County, and they are listed here by land lot location. I have visited several of them and they lay right next to busy neighborhoods these days and the people who live there haven't a clue what is in the creek in back of the house.
Every known gold deposit in the state was visited by Percy who did a test panning at the site to determine the approximate value of the remaining gold, and many of these mines were hard to relocate in the early 1900's, but he did it, and recorded the site by land lot maps so you can relocate just about any gold mine in the state, stretching back to the 1830's.
Reprints of this book used to be sold by the Georgia Mineral Society, so you might want to contact them if your library doesn't have a copy. I have used the information in it to locate gold in places you would never dream there was any.
Good luck, and be safe!

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is gold in Gwinnett you just have to dig deep

datsun310

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gwinnett

How deep do yu have to dig? I believe my moms neighborhood to be built on land with indian burial grounds. When I was younger I would go scouting in the woods and found hundreds of 3-5 foot high rock piles. My mom contacted some indian she knew and the cheif showed up to protest the disturbance of any more soil. They excavated 2 of the stone piles and found no bones so the buldozed them and built houses.
I wonder if these indians were mining it.:blackbeard:

There is gold in Gwinnett you just have to dig deep

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe or so old mine tailings from the gold rush

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lost gold mine of Gwinnett is not lost just forgotten

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was an old gold mine 2 miles from Cummings but now there is a subdivision on top

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-4085339119.jpg

The gold you find in Gwinnett

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LEDBETTER TREASURE ---- Cumming, GA ---- Buried on old family estate , He died walking back after hr hid it

Chief Van Treasure also Cumming ( could be under Lake Lanier by now )

The Taccoa treasure interests me the most since has had recent activity late 1930's early 40's and at least a location to work from in the town

Macon Georgia is supposed to have underground tunnels that were used in the 20's for bootlegging ect There was a guy who had located them and had found an entry point , but he ceased posting on another site

There is still alot up here , Good luck

Last edited:

amos316

Greenie
Aug 9, 2007
calhoun
Detector(s) used
at pro
f70
ive got one to add to this list when my grandfather was a kid someone robbed the bank here in calhoun they were shot and killed off of 53 and never found the gold theres a old well next to where he was shot and a cave not far from it either they blew the entrence to the cave when a little girl went missing in it

TDWay

Jun 4, 2011
I wouldn't put much faith in this one. Gwinnett county is pretty much out of the gold belt that lies between two geological faults. It does pinch and extends down to villa rica and I have found some gold there. But now I guess that is all wall to wall neighborhoods, I panned there 18 years ago.

John

Gwinnett Co. Yes there is still gold being washed down the river, try your luck at Jones Bridge Park, I panned a 1/4 oz out the river there working just the weekends back around 1999-2000. And somewhere just north of Ga. hwy 120, and PT Ind. not giving away all my finds.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Anybody interested and able to pan for gold full time contact me. I live in TN N of Nashville and want to come to Ga to do some gold hunting/panning. Have the time myself Would like to make/find friend to go with who also has the time. Idea interests you PM me. -Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread