The Lost Diamond Worth $25,000,000.00 & the Mustard Jar, In Hall County,Georgia c1874

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lost Diamond Worth $25,000,000.00 & the Mustard Jar, In Hall County,Georgia c1874

The Anderson intelligencer. (Anderson Court House, S.C.), 20 Aug. 1874.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg
000fff.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=855

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is only worth that much is if somebody is will to pay the price. Who wants to chip in?

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Sounds suspect.... I’m not exactly sure why diamonds would be in a sandstone matrix diamonds are normally found in kimberlite... or gold for that matter.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great old newspaper story. Thanks Jeff!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I located the old Glade Gold Mine about 30 years ago, and obtained permission from the Corp of Engineers to pan for gold in the Flat Creek basin just north of the Chattahoochee River in Hall County in the northern end of Lake Lanier. We panned gold there over a 2 year period, and did well with it, finding much coarse gold,, rice grain sized nuggets, with a few larger, as the drainage is so flat that the creek doesn't really tumble the gold smooth.

One of the crew took a large sample of suspected diamonds to a gemologist, and several small diamonds were discovered amongst all the suspicious quartz chips he had accumulated. They were of poor quality, but were indeed diamonds.

I have a few suspicious stones too that have triangulation lines in them, but have never gotten them checked.

The old records state that the diamonds came from Stockenator (sp) Branch, but we were never able to determine exactly which branch that was.

Lots of deer stands in this area, so if you go in there now, be careful, and wear orange. Also a lot of large cottonmouth snakes in this area.

We took a geologist up there one trip and he said the area had been part of a volcano at one time, and he located some blue clay he felt was Kimberlite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread