Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are some unfound Georgia Treasures?

All through Georgia, you will hear all kinds of stories from the Civil War and other treasures that were either lost or buried and were never found. Some of the most popular are listed below.

In Griffin, a prosperous businessman by the name of Mr. Duncan did not trust banks like many southerners. He stored away all of his money in different locations throughout his home. His wife was so worried about someone breaking in and robbing their home, since everyone knew he would not use banks. She convinced Mr. Duncan to gather his money and deposit it in the local bank. He went from room to room, gathered over $100,000, and headed off to the bank. However, he changed his mind and buried the money in a peach orchard. A few months later, Mr. Duncan suffered a heart attack and was bed ridden. He tried in vain to give directions to where he had buried all the money, but no one could understand his directions including his wife. He died within a few days and the money is still buried in a peach orchard somewhere around Griffin, Georgia.

Blackbeard, the famous pirate, was known for burying his booty on Blackbeard Island and on Ossabaw Island. None of his treasure has been found to this day.

During the Civil War, many citizens throughout the state of Georgia buried many of their valuable in fear of William Tecumseh Sherman’s men as they marched through the countryside. They left behind destruction everywhere they went. Many of these valuables have never been recovered as some of the owners died during the war.

Lipscomb was a wealthy plantation owner that lived near LaGrange. He buried over $100,000 in gold and silver coins with the help of one of his servants prior to the Civil War. The servant would as he dug up the ground place small amounts of the money in various locations all over the plantation. Without the help of the servant, Lipscomb could not find his own coins. He then made a map with the servant so he could locate his treasure. He later passed away, his widow could not decipher the directions that were left behind, and the coins are still buried throughout the plantation.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Thanks, RR.....I use to live in LaGrange.

If there is any treasures in Georgia they aren't near me. I think I've just about dug up the entire south west section...lol

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, River Rat....

Heard about the Duncan tale, have not researched it to any degree. May/may not be bulldust....

Blackbeard..... I've spent a lot of time deer hunting on Blackbeard Island, live in the county, done lots of research on pirates during the "Golden Age". Was a "shrimper" for a few years, and I'm quite knowledgeable of local waters, to include charts/maps drawn during the 1700s. Unless BB wanted to drop anchor in the sound in view of the ocean, there's no way he could have "snuck in", anchored, transferred booty from a sailing ship to a ship's boat, rowed to shore, secreted his loot, did whatever dirty deeds local legend suggests, and sailed away without being seriously exposed to discovery.

BB, to my knowledge, took no "treasure" ~ he took merchant cargo, which he "exchanged" with the authorities in SC/NC/VA. How that was split/spent/hidden I have no inkling.

A feller wrote a book back in the '60s about Georgia's Fabulous Treasures. I've read it. Did some research. He claims (or words to this effect) "Signs of pirate activity" on the island.

Until a few years ago, no one knew there was a Quarantine Station on this island back at the turn of the 1900s due to malaria and yellow fever. This county/port was the second most busy timber exporting port on the east coast, second only to Pensacola.

Lots of stuff on the river banks, under the leaves, that suggest old time occupancy. But nothing I've seen (rubbish/wash out) that goes back more than a little over a hunnert years. Earliest written records suggest late 1700s French partnership raising cattle. Sold out/tax sale, and the Island was bought by the US Navy at sheriff's auction in 1800 for the live oak groves there, timber of which was used for warships.

BTW ~ Blackbeard Island is a National Wildlife Refuge, jealousy watched over by the US Fish and Wildlife Services. Best none get caught there treasure hunting. It'll cost you, I've talked with management folks, and they've told me stories of "busting" folks treasure hunting there.

I've done no THing on the island, and won't. First, it's "Off Limits". Second, research says "Drop it".

This rambling post is just FYI.

Now if you want to get another debunking about Georgia Treasure, read what I posted on this forum about the $400K gold coins and Chief William McIntosh.....

Robin (Just a frustrated historian)

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Pepper2004 said:
Thanks, RR.....I use to live in LaGrange.

If there is any treasures in Georgia they aren't near me. I think I've just about dug up the entire south west section...lol

Hang in there you will find the gold

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

Black Beard was the river rat, if he could sail around ocracoke inlet as much as he did and with the sediment deposits always changing over time, heck his treasure could be anywere along the east coast. For those who say he never buried "any" treasure, #@!* wouldn't you stash some kinda universal currency in case of emergency in that business? I know i would. He may have never taken any treasure ships but what he sold those goods for amounted to lots of what i call treasure.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL said:
Black Beard was the river rat, if he could sail around ocracoke inlet as much as he did and with the sediment deposits always changing over time, heck his treasure could be anywere along the east coast. For those who say he never buried "any" treasure, #@!* wouldn't you stash some kinda universal currency in case of emergency in that business? I know i would. He may have never taken any treasure ships but what he sold those goods for amounted to lots of what i call treasure.

He blew it all on whores and grog. Best of luck searching though. Research means everything.

FireRescue

Jul 28, 2007
Middle Georgia
I live in griffin and my best friend is a Duncan family heir, We're still speculating the validity of the buried cache. Very possible, especially knowing the family history. I recently tore down one of their barns dated back to the civil war, lots of small clues there. :icon_pirat:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is plenty to be found in GA. My father was a rock hound in the 50's & 60's. He would be in the State Geologists office at least once a month getting hand drawn maps and directions to good rock hunting locations around the state. The guy who had the job then was named Furicron - my spelling is probably wrong, but back then he was often approached by people who were trying to locate lost treasures. Hearing some of these stories that he told us, or had related to my dad, gave me a bad case of Gold Fever when I was a kid. He kept files of all these leads, and someone published a book using some of these which I believe was titled FABULOUS TREASURE TROVES OF GEORGIA. My dad was never interested in hunting for buried treasures, but the information he received on gem and mineral hunting was dead on the money, and we found plenty of nice stuff right where this guy said to look. My brother lived in Savannah in the 60's and had spent time visiting Blackbeards Island. There were old ship spikes driven into the many of the trees on the island that according to legend would lead to Blackbeards treasure. One guy mapped all the spiked trees that could be found, only to discover that the trees had all twisted with time, and the spikes no longer pointed the same as when they were driven into the trees, and due to different twisting rates of the various species, and other variables, he was unable to make any coherent sense of the spiked trees. That was about 50 years ago, and the world was a different place! I had a cigar box full of old Confederate money that we played store with, and nobody thought anything of it, and I'm sure it was eventually thrown out with the garbage after we grew up and left home. BFO metal detectors were considered as a modern miracle, and many of those old sites listed about Georgia have never seen a VLF machine, so do some research, and get out there and hunt!

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i live near lagrange. i wonder who owns the property now and how many attempts have been made to find it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread