Nicholls, Ga. Buried Coins
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    277 times

Nicholls, Ga. Buried Coins

Allie Waters Cassel related another story which had a link to Jacksonville, Ga. Ken Cannon was once our pastor at Blockhouse Baptist Church there and according to Cassel, Ken’s great grandfather, Jerome Cannon was quite a character of Nicholls, Ga. Ken lives there now and his wife, Deborah, teaches at the Nicholls School. They live in the beautiful old Hymerick Meeks house.

Here is what Allie related about her experience of trying to borrow money from Mr. Cannon. She wanted to go to college and needed funds:

“I decided to try Old Man Jerome Cannon, a retired mail carrier, and the father of my first teacher, Miss Abbie. He was a crotchety eccentric who was supposed to have had gold coins buried around his land on the edge of Nicholls. He had a mannerism that was widely mimicked; before speaking he always cleared his throat with a long, deliberate “hock.”

After school one spring day, I went to his house and was directed out to the grape arbor. Knowing better than to engage in small talk, I stated the purpose of my visit, to borrow a hundred dollars to go to school, which I would pay back as soon as I began teaching in the fall.

He went, “Hock, well now, little girl, I’m not going to lend you any money. Old Man Cannon has loaned money to young people who say they’ll pay him back, but when they earn money, they just forget Old Man Cannon and their debts. So, I’m not lending any more.

I was a downcast figure as I went back through town towards home. As I took a shortcut between D.C. Anderson’s dad’s store, D.C. called to me from the back door, saying I was wanted on their telephone. I couldn’t imagine who it might be. When I said, “Hello,” I heard, “Hock! Little girl, this is Old Man Cannon. I saw those tears roll down your cheeks a while ago. Well, now, you just come in to catch your train on that Saturday, and Old Man Cannon will meet you there with your hundred dollars.”

http://hometown.aol.com/jgphoto3/myhomepage/index.html
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    bounty hunter land star

Aug 2005
    macon ga.

Re: Nicholls, Ga. Buried Coins

thank you for info gypsy heart i found a old wagon trail about 300 ft of it i been they about 4 times i found old bottles but they is a lot of trash thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	getimageCARQUTIQ.jpg 
Views:	5100 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	12180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	getimageCATXD7HB.jpg 
Views:	1103 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	202541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	getimageCARQUTIQ.jpg 
Views:	767 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	202542  
    doobie
    gear bounty hunter land star
    macon ga.

Sponsored Links