Nicholls, Ga. Buried Coins

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Allie Waters Cassel related another story which had a link to Jacksonville, Ga. Ken Cannon was once our pastor at Blockhouse Baptist Church there and according to Cassel, Ken’s great grandfather, Jerome Cannon was quite a character of Nicholls, Ga. Ken lives there now and his wife, Deborah, teaches at the Nicholls School. They live in the beautiful old Hymerick Meeks house.

Here is what Allie related about her experience of trying to borrow money from Mr. Cannon. She wanted to go to college and needed funds:

“I decided to try Old Man Jerome Cannon, a retired mail carrier, and the father of my first teacher, Miss Abbie. He was a crotchety eccentric who was supposed to have had gold coins buried around his land on the edge of Nicholls. He had a mannerism that was widely mimicked; before speaking he always cleared his throat with a long, deliberate “hock.”

After school one spring day, I went to his house and was directed out to the grape arbor. Knowing better than to engage in small talk, I stated the purpose of my visit, to borrow a hundred dollars to go to school, which I would pay back as soon as I began teaching in the fall.

He went, “Hock, well now, little girl, I’m not going to lend you any money. Old Man Cannon has loaned money to young people who say they’ll pay him back, but when they earn money, they just forget Old Man Cannon and their debts. So, I’m not lending any more.

I was a downcast figure as I went back through town towards home. As I took a shortcut between D.C. Anderson’s dad’s store, D.C. called to me from the back door, saying I was wanted on their telephone. I couldn’t imagine who it might be. When I said, “Hello,” I heard, “Hock! Little girl, this is Old Man Cannon. I saw those tears roll down your cheeks a while ago. Well, now, you just come in to catch your train on that Saturday, and Old Man Cannon will meet you there with your hundred dollars.”

http://hometown.aol.com/jgphoto3/myhomepage/index.html

doobie

Aug 8, 2005
macon ga.
:thumbsup: thank you for info :wink: gypsy heart i found a old wagon trail about 300 ft of it i been they about 4 times i found old bottles but they is a lot of trash thank you

Attachments

• getimageCARQUTIQ.jpg
    getimageCARQUTIQ.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5,155
  • getimageCATXD7HB.jpg
    getimageCATXD7HB.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,165
  • getimageCARQUTIQ.jpg
    getimageCARQUTIQ.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 826

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread