Iron Door - Malad Idaho

Holyhabanero

Sep 19, 2005
Hello All,

I'm researching a topic for a magazine article about the "Iron Door," which is a local legend around the area of Malad, Idaho. (Here's a link for those who've never heard of it: http://www.maladidaho.org/irondoor.htm )

Has anyone heard of it? If so, I'd like to hear what you've heard.

Has anyone actually gone hunting for it? If so, I'd like to hear about your experience(s).

Thanks so much.

Craveman

Dec 29, 2004
I know of the story and looked for it about 30yrs ago as a kid. I was real excited about the whole story. What I was really interested in was, if we found the Iron Door and opened it, the fact of finding a couple of dead robbers and hopefully their guns.

I've found a few links to the story within the last 2yrs and know there are a few different versions, here are two.

http://www.hyclone.com/pdf/ATSV10N1.PDF go to the end on this one
http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/treasurehunting/archives/19990415/messages/1317.shtml

petrie

Mar 27, 2007
i have relatives that live there and i have head a few stories about it but the most thing that every story had similar was the fact that when the people found it, they would mark their course or try to and the iron doors apparently move!!!! like they will be in one spot then another!! i don't know if this is true or not!!! but i also have been told that you need cutting torches to get into these iron doors!! i think a couple of people have found them while deer hunting and they could not get into the doors!! but i have heard alot about it!!! i am going to be going there this summer maybe to look around!!! later

petrie

S

SPADXII

Sounds a lot like Belle Starr's lost iron door treasure in Oklahoma. I read about it in W.C. Jameson's "Lost Treasures of American History" 2006, Taylor Trade Publishing, Lanham, MD.

SArkHunter

Greenie
May 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter , Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro TigerShark
Yup...sounds like the Iron Door Legend in the Wichita Mtns in Oklahoma...I was planning to go there in March with my Dad..after researching all the leads from Thomas Perry's Treasure Atlas and mapping with topo program I finally got it down to a one mile area where it could be... Then I found out that the Wichita Mtns is a "National Wildlife Area"...in Big Bold Letters on their website they state..No Treasure Hunting, No Metal Detectors allowed...I wonder why in places that are full of treasure stories, outlaw hideouts, etc..the government decides to make the whole "mountain area" a refuge?

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Well, you could still go hiking in the area and take along your binocs and cameras (with telephoto lenses) to photograph the wildlife. If you actually managed to find a "treasure", then you could figure out your next steps. At the least, if your photos are good, you could sell them to nature magazines.... ;)

JPS

Jul 1, 2005
Anyone want to plan a trip to look for this. Is it on private land where we would have to contact the owners?.

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old post but interesting, sure i would like to hunt for it. i am northern idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know of the story and looked for it about 30yrs ago as a kid. I was real excited about the whole story. What I was really interested in was, if we found the Iron Door and opened it, the fact of finding a couple of dead robbers and hopefully their guns.

I've found a few links to the story within the last 2yrs and know there are a few different versions, here are two.

http://www.hyclone.com/pdf/ATSV10N1.PDF go to the end on this one
TreasureNet Treasure Hunting Forum - Re: Lost Cave with the Iron Door
Top link just goes to some GE Healthcare site
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've read of the Malad story before, but never searched for it. I've done some fishing at a little lake called Samaria Res. south of Malad. Would be fun to try and find the treasure. It's nice country to hike around in.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
old post but interesting, sure i would like to hunt for it. i am northern idaho
LOL...if you decide to come down, Davin, let me know...I'll partner up with you. Malad's about 90 miles south of me. I know the country some.
Jim

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim, i would like to make a trip in that area but i am not sure when it will be, hopefully soon. i will keep in touch with you.
davin

Redneckpride

Aug 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a drone with a 3 mile range. My thought was to check the area with that first. I live on the coast in Washington but have wanted to make a trip over there to search for this one.

cvdetect

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2022
Im looking into this one again after a few years of it simmering on the back burner, not a lot of "facts" as far as I have found yet but I do have some ideas I would like to check out in the area.
This is the story that originally got me interested in "Treasure Hunting" and it is a really fun story.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you decide to go look, let me know. I might be able to go along. I know a bit about that country.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions