Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By petrie
  • 1 Post By JPS
  • 1 Post By Jim in Idaho
  • 1 Post By Jim in Idaho
  • 1 Post By davin

Thread: Iron Door - Malad Idaho

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2005

Iron Door - Malad Idaho

Hello All,

I'm researching a topic for a magazine article about the "Iron Door," which is a local legend around the area of Malad, Idaho. (Here's a link for those who've never heard of it: http://www.maladidaho.org/irondoor.htm )

Has anyone heard of it? If so, I'd like to hear what you've heard.

Has anyone actually gone hunting for it? If so, I'd like to hear about your experience(s).

Thanks so much.

Dec 2004

Re: Iron Door - Malad Idaho

I know of the story and looked for it about 30yrs ago as a kid. I was real excited about the whole story. What I was really interested in was, if we found the Iron Door and opened it, the fact of finding a couple of dead robbers and hopefully their guns.

I've found a few links to the story within the last 2yrs and know there are a few different versions, here are two.

http://www.hyclone.com/pdf/ATSV10N1.PDF go to the end on this one
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/tre...ges/1317.shtml

Mar 2007
    1 times

i have relatives that live there and i have head a few stories about it but the most thing that every story had similar was the fact that when the people found it, they would mark their course or try to and the iron doors apparently move!!!! like they will be in one spot then another!! i don't know if this is true or not!!! but i also have been told that you need cutting torches to get into these iron doors!! i think a couple of people have found them while deer hunting and they could not get into the doors!! but i have heard alot about it!!! i am going to be going there this summer maybe to look around!!! later

petrie
    davin likes this.

SPADXII

Sounds a lot like Belle Starr's lost iron door treasure in Oklahoma. I read about it in W.C. Jameson's "Lost Treasures of American History" 2006, Taylor Trade Publishing, Lanham, MD.

May 2005
    Bounty Hunter , Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro TigerShark

Yup...sounds like the Iron Door Legend in the Wichita Mtns in Oklahoma...I was planning to go there in March with my Dad..after researching all the leads from Thomas Perry's Treasure Atlas and mapping with topo program I finally got it down to a one mile area where it could be... Then I found out that the Wichita Mtns is a "National Wildlife Area"...in Big Bold Letters on their website they state..No Treasure Hunting, No Metal Detectors allowed...I wonder why in places that are full of treasure stories, outlaw hideouts, etc..the government decides to make the whole "mountain area" a refuge?

Nov 2006
    8 times

Well, you could still go hiking in the area and take along your binocs and cameras (with telephoto lenses) to photograph the wildlife. If you actually managed to find a "treasure", then you could figure out your next steps. At the least, if your photos are good, you could sell them to nature magazines.... ;)

JPS

Jul 2005
    3 times
    Anyone want to plan a trip to look for this. Is it on private land where we would have to contact the owners?.
    davin likes this.

us
    May 2011
    north idaho
    whites GMT
    184 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    old post but interesting, sure i would like to hunt for it. i am northern idaho

JPS

Jul 2005
    3 times

Iron Door

Quote Originally Posted by davin View Post
    I would like to make a search. Anyone have a drone to take aerial video/photos?

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2692 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Craveman View Post
    I know of the story and looked for it about 30yrs ago as a kid. I was real excited about the whole story. What I was really interested in was, if we found the Iron Door and opened it, the fact of finding a couple of dead robbers and hopefully their guns.

I've found a few links to the story within the last 2yrs and know there are a few different versions, here are two.

http://www.hyclone.com/pdf/ATSV10N1.PDF go to the end on this one
    TreasureNet Treasure Hunting Forum - Re: Lost Cave with the Iron Door
    Top link just goes to some GE Healthcare site
    Jim

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2692 times
    Prospecting
    I've read of the Malad story before, but never searched for it. I've done some fishing at a little lake called Samaria Res. south of Malad. Would be fun to try and find the treasure. It's nice country to hike around in.
    Jim
    davin likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    2692 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by davin View Post
    LOL...if you decide to come down, Davin, let me know...I'll partner up with you. Malad's about 90 miles south of me. I know the country some.
    Jim
    davin likes this.

us
    May 2011
    north idaho
    whites GMT
    184 times
    jim, i would like to make a trip in that area but i am not sure when it will be, hopefully soon. i will keep in touch with you.
    davin
    Jim in Idaho likes this.

Aug 2016
    I have a drone with a 3 mile range. My thought was to check the area with that first. I live on the coast in Washington but have wanted to make a trip over there to search for this one.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links