Shoshone Co., Chinese Gold Camp Legend

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While working in Idaho several years ago, my 80-something year old barber told me a legend that he's known since he was a child. Said barber had grown up in/around Kellogg-Osburn area and was told a story by his father or grandfather, from years before.

Apparently after the rail lines were complete in and around Murray/Wallace area, some of the Chinese workers that had worked on the lines, headed out and made a camp for themselves for gold prospecting. A posse of miners and rail workers were fairly incensed at their audacity, and visited the camp, warning them that they need to clear out or next time they paid a visit, they wouldn't be so pleasant. Their warning went unheeded. When the posse returned several days later, they razed the camp, and beat or killed the Chinese they found there, running them out of the area never to return.

I forget the exact name of the creek, (China creek?) but a search of Google maps finds it easily from memory. ( 47.65706, -116.0555 ) Basically, head north up Coeur d'Alene River road from Kingston about 14 -15 miles, to National Forest Dev. Rd 620, on the left (south.) I went here with a co-worker once, but we didn't stay too long. There should be a creek running parallel to the FS road, that travels under the CdA river Rd and empties into the CdA River. We couldn't spend too much time here, we simply wanted to check it out to confirm it exsisted, and try and come back later. The creek looked pretty promising, with fairly decent flow, and many minor terraces and cracks where one might find placer gold. We never did see any evidence of a camp even though did drive down the road to the first major bend to the east. The actual location of the camp may have been quite some distance down the draw to the south.

One other thing to note, While we had no special gear to actually investigate, there was a large, 3-4 foot diameter culvert that passed the water under CdA river road. The water fell a little to the lip of the culvert and created a small pool before emptying into the culvert. Also, the water falling out of the culvert into the CdA river was a 12-18 inch drop and created a nice deep pool with quite a bit of sediment before being mingled and swept away with the river. These are two excellent spots IMO to look for nuggets. If you'll remember, a Dept of Highways worker in Idaho found a huge nugget in a culvert during spring clean-out several years ago around Wallace. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a real treat around here. One last thing to note about the creek and surrounding area - Be sure to check first, I'm sure quite a bit of these areas are 'claimed' out already.

If anyone decides to head out here and check it out, I wish you the best of luck and be safe!

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
Thanks for the input airborne1092,
Nice to have data when the opportunity presents itself! My cousin has been pestering me to head that way from SW Idaho. I'll forward this to him to get him worked up again! :whip2:

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
This sounds a lot like the Chinese massacre of 1887. However, that particular incident did not take place up near the Coeur D'Alene or Kellogg area.

The massacre of 1887 took place at Deep Creek, approximately 65 miles south of Lewiston, Idaho in Hell's Canyon on the Oregon side of the river. At the time, the Chinese were working small sites along the Snake River and Salmon River. Primarily Deep Creek and Slate Creek.

Back then, the rumor was that they were hiding a huge cache of gold dust. So a bunch of guys ambushed, tortured and killed all 34 of them. The murder wasn't discovered until some of the bodies floated up to Lewiston.

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a story of some Chinese killed in the Potlach area on Gold Mountain. One story also from the Pearce area near Orofino. Another out of Florence in Idaho County. I guess you can say that the chinese weren't well liked in Idaho back in the 1800's.

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My barber was pretty adamant about the location; He was born and raised in the local area and he lives just outside Osburn these days, too.

Shiloh1 No, for sure they were not! I think because they were more industrious and dare I say - more relentless workers than the Irish or Germans, or perhaps a better way of putting it is, they were easier to abuse because they simply sucked it up and drove-on, thus were desireable to have on a crew building the RRs?

iirc, California even had an anti immigration law on the books back in the late 1800s, against the Chinese.

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airborne, you are correct. They were abused in every aspect of life during those rough and rowdy days. You can still see the canals they built on the Salmon River to bring water to area's they wanted to work for gold. You wouldn't see the white prospectors working that hard for the gold. If it wasn't sitting on top of the ground they thought it was too hard to get. Just a thought!

rcliffor

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2011
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the 1930's depression era, my grandfather mined gold up on the North Fork of the CDA River. He and a friend had purchased an old excavator and managed to support their families mining gold until they could finds employment in Kellogg. I do not know exactly where they mined since they kept no records.

mrfluffzilla

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am over near Coeur d'alene and I would like more info on this if it's possible. Is the story just for a lost gold camp? Or is there supposed to be something buried there?

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i also would like more info, if there is more, thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread