SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story Jeff! There seems to be a pattern here where people that were going to recover caches made a point of letting everyone know what they were looking for and where it was located before they started the search. Not a great idea!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story Jeff! There seems to be a pattern here where people that were going to recover caches made a point of letting everyone know what they were looking for and where it was located before they started the search. Not a great idea!

Sure make research easier though :coffee2:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
As I understand it, Mud Lake is the property of the local irrigation district. I do not think they would appreciate it when people do any unauthorized digging.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I understand it, Mud Lake is the property of the local irrigation district. I do not think they would appreciate it when people do any unauthorized digging.

I doubt anybody would ever notice, provided you didn't mess with the irrigation water. As far as the treasure...it probably sank to irretrievable depths in the mud a long time ago....LOLJim

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I doubt anybody would ever notice, provided you didn't mess with the irrigation water. As far as the treasure...it probably sank to irretrievable depths in the mud a long time ago....LOLJim

A little water is typically not the issue, but rather damage to dikes, levees, canals, diversions, etc. Keeping the infrastructure intact is foremost for any irrigation district. Deliberate damage to irrigation infrastructure is considered a serious crime in rural Idaho. Since Mud Lake, as it is today, is primarily an artificial construct for irrigation water distribution, damage to any structure, even earthen, is a serious issue. Anyone digging without district permission is very likely to get a visit by the local deputy sheriff.

As to the “treasure”, when this tale originated, along with a somewhat smaller lake, there were several smaller ponds in a rather marshy area. Some of those became part of the current Mud Lake in a depression era project. Some have been filled. Some still exist as seasonal ponds. Also, the lake is dredged every few decades to help maintain water retention.

I’ve been looking into this, along with other Eastern Idaho tales, for a few decades. So far, after than visiting the site a few times, and visiting with county employees, I see no reason to pursue this tale, regardless of how much information may be verifiable.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000ppp.jpg
000uuu.jpg
000qqq.jpg
000rrr.jpg
000sss.jpg
000ttt.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg

Think the Knights Templars dug a tunnel in the Mud and carried it to Oak Island ?
Sorry I couldn't resist :tongue3:

I suppose that it could have sunk to great depths in the Mud, But
I'd do more Research as to Why they Think The Bandits actually
Would have put it In the Lake.

That consisted of allot of Weight, My guess (& Only a Guess)
they sunk in the Mud Long before reaching the Lake, Got frustrated & Hightailed it out of there
leaving it behind

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread