Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats funny, you can buy a house cairo for like $6,000. buy it detect it and sell it!!! LOL :thumbsup:

roundhat

Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
TreasureFiend said:
thats funny, you can buy a house cairo for like $6,000. buy it detect it and sell it!!! LOL :thumbsup:

thing is... you'll never sell it... but if you wait long enough the local swill burn it for ya.

pull_tab21

Feb 9, 2012
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"sounds like an inside job to get the payroll."

It does sound that way....I had been doing research on sunken steamboats in and around Cairo and never heard of the Ruth and contents...Wonder why that was?...Mass histeria prolly....People going out on flatboats and dying...lol...Seriously though, From what I read the general consensus is it was a attack on the North from a Rebel to try and destabalize the Union armies finance, and with that amount of money lost they would think Union troops would just desert because of no pay.....Seems it didnt work......What I would like to know is in what context was the money in?..Bullion, coins or paper money.

pull_tab21

Feb 9, 2012
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was recovered a few weeks later. The money was paper money(greenbacks) according to the Stl. papers. Diving bell divers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread