jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The evening herald. (Shenandoah, Pa.), 13 Jan. 1894.

1.jpg

Hopefully Not turned into a Nature Preserve by the powers that be,
to Prevent searching.

The evening herald. (Shenandoah, Pa.) 1891-1966, January 13, 1894, THIRD EDITION, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anyone wishing to pursue this lead may wish to start at the Mt. Hope-Funk's Grove Township Public Library in nearby McLean (309)874-2291 and ask for the Reference Desk and the county's Historian. And, yes, Jeff, Funk's Grove is part of a nature reserve; but I could find no reference to Funk's Landing--nor do I associate that area as being able to be served by any riverboat (at a 'landing'). Could the word 'Landing' be associated instead with migratory birds?
Don......

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone wishing to pursue this lead may wish to start at the Mt. Hope-Funk's Grove Township Public Library in nearby McLean (309)874-2291 and ask for the Reference Desk and the county's Historian. And, yes, Jeff, Funk's Grove is part of a nature reserve; but I could find no reference to Funk's Landing--nor do I associate that area as being able to be served by any riverboat (at a 'landing'). Could the word 'Landing' be associated instead with migratory birds?
Don......

Possible . as I noticed the lack of water also.
unless the Timber Creek was allot healthier at one time

000.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and additional.... I Have read News accounts calling Local Creeks here Rivers.
And since the article mentions it being "Brought up the river "

Funks Landing there is an Excellent Chance the Landing was along the creek at Funks

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'll keep open the possibility the reference to "landing" refers to the migration of birds. As a fact, that area is part of what is called the Mississippi Flyway (Canadian geese). Bank in the early 50's, I lived under that Flyway near the Illinois/Wisconsin border (Lake Zurich area). Hundreds of Canadian geese would fly over blanketing the sky. I wonder if they still do.......
Don.....

STLdigger

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome! I wasn't expecting to find out that Funk's Landing is near Alton. I lived in Alton for about 5 years, and currently live about 15 min from there now. I have a hunch that the location they're referring to is actually above Alton, not below it, because the bluffs don't continue down river past Alton, and I know for a fact that there are at least a couple of "caves" in the bluffs a mile or two up river... I've been in them a couple times. I don't think they're natural caves, however, and I have no idea how old they are.

STLdigger

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Further research has me convinced that this treasure doesn't exist, and was just used as a ploy by Finney and his crew to swindle money out of people, as well as a cover story used to hide an affair between Finney and one of the women involved. Fetch.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread