Half-Way Tavern...Buried Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I dont know how much property the state owns that surrounds this place,but it might be worth it to som eone to check out the surrounding property owners for permission to hunt.............................

There is a legend surrounding the Half-Way Tavern, located on U.S. 50 just east of Salem, a legend concerning lost gold.

Some historians say that one day in the early 1800s a stagecoach passing though the area was held up by Indians. The coach was carrying gold which the Indians made off with.
When a posse closed in on them they supposedly buried the gold in a wooded area just north of the tavern. And as far as anyone knows, it is still there awaiting discovery.
Naturally, as with all legends dealing with lost gold and lost gold mines, people are said to have sought the treasure. But no one is known to have found it. Farmers have plowed up Indian arrowheads in this area. No farmer, however, ever claimed to finding the buried gold.
Half-Way Tavern got its name because it was located halfway between St. Louis and Vincennes. The building was originally constructed in 1815 and was used as both an Inn and livery stable. Stagecoach passengers used the Inn on their travels between St. Louis and Vincennes.
One of the more prominent customers of the Half-Way Tavern - although he probably wasn't considered so at the time - was a young attorney named Abraham Lincoln. He and other lawyers "rode the circuit" from courthouse to courthouse trying cases in those days. It is highly likely that Half-Way Tavern, lying the location that it does, was visited more than once by the future U.S. president.
Some years ago the state of Illinois took over the property and renovated the old building replica. Now it can be seen by motorists traveling east from Salem on U.S. 50. The building itself is closed to the public.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Iuka, Illinois "Halfway Tavern"

The following story and pictures were provided by
David & Pat Neff.

My name is David Neff. I was raised in Iuka, Marion County, IL. Iuka is about 10 miles east of Salem, IL, and about a mile south of U. S. Route 50. My parents owned a 104 acre farm on Route 50, about one half mile east of the Iuka exit road. At the east edge of this farm stands a replica of an old stagecoach building on 4 acres.

A few years ago the state of Illinois purchased this 4 acres, and the original stagecoach stand that was there, and made it into a historical site. They demolished the original structure and replaced it with the one that is there now. My Grandfather Charles H. Neff, was the original owner of the" Halfway House" as it was called, and 104 acres. He always claimed that President Lincoln slept there, along with a lot of other stagecoach
http://www.route50.com/halfwaytavern.htm

Attachments

• halfwaytavernold.jpg
    halfwaytavernold.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,165
  • halwaytavernnew.jpg
    halwaytavernnew.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,094

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
Thanks for this information on this site. It is not too far from where I live and may just have to drive up there and check it out and the surrounding areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions