Saskatohawans Gold Cave

JPS

Jul 1, 2005
Saskatohawan's Gold Cave

An old Indian named Saskatohawan, now deceased, told of a cave near Lexington that contained enough gold to "buy the State of Indiana." As far as can be recalled this is what Saskatohawan said, in his own words (except changes made for clarification):

"I am an Indian and an old man; I have seen many moons, having trailed the war path for some eighty years. I was born in Kentucky in 1802 and belonged to the Pottawatamite Tribe. My father moved to the Territory of Indiana in 1816 and built his wigwam near now the town of Lexington, and was killed in the battle of Tippecanoe in 18_l. I remained near Lexington until the Pigeon Roost massacre in which myself and Uncle took a part. My Uncle was mortally wounded and before he died he told me of a great cave one and one half miles northwest of Lexington in which gold abounded in abundance and that he was the only person that was possessor of the secret.

"After the death of my Uncle I sought and found the cave and, as my Uncle represented, it was rich with shining ore, as the metal was glittering on all sides. I gathered up all the metal I could carry and took it to Vincennes, receiving in exchange a large amount of money and whiskey. I intended to return and get more, but white man invaded Indian's home and drove him away.

"I remember some of the white men who came to Territory to trade with Indian, cheat him, and drive him away. One was a tailor and tried to cut Indian's moccasins and spoilt 'em. Another was a lightning rod agent, wanted to rod Indian's hut and sell a safe. There was a big white man who big represented called "Gabe" he rode a mule and wanted to drink all of Indian's whiskey. There was another white man who couldn't talk, but made signs, and wanted to cheat Indian out of hogs and cattle and get him to vote for him so he could spoil all the roads. The worst man Indian had to trade with Ross. He would trade Indian bad horse for good pony. Indian afraid of Ross. The cave is near a creek, the mouth of which is small and goes down straight down for about 10 feet, when it strikes off in a southeast direction, becoming very large, and in there is enough gold to buy the State of Indiana. I am now old, and will soon pass over to the happy hunting grounds, to join Great Father, and before I enter the silvery stream I give and bequeath to the white man of Scott County my secret, which Indian has carried locked in his breast for 65 years. "

Saskatohawan

Who wants to plan a hunt?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Saskatohawan's Gold Cave

Knowing some about caves I see a promising spot to check for a cave in that location but its looks to be on private property. Knowing about caves also leaves the chance that the opening that was once there is not there anymore.

micprec

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro

hey if you need more help, i would love the opportunity to help out. thanks in aadvance.

OP
OP
J

JPS

Jul 1, 2005

I want to set up a trip in the summer, say, a 4 day weekend. If anyone has an area on private land, can we find out who the land owner's are and make contact? Come up with a contract for all involved?.

micprec

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro

I will look for info this wewkend and track down rhe owners, a long weekend sounds good this summer, we gotta lot of research to get done quickly. I think I can get maps of area from that time area,

jutterback67

Aug 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did any of you get an opportunity to start a hunt? i have researched this off and on for 25 years and would love to find like minded guys to try and find this! i have several maps and have a good location i think based on google earth? would love to chat with others...

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So did you guys find anything? Its been almost a year..lol

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
I do believe that they found it, and all retired happily every after to their own Paradise!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

JPS

Jul 1, 2005
Saskatohawan's Gold Cave

Sorry, ever got around to looking but still want to.

travis.gore.79

Sep 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize that this is an old thread, however it must still be out there then [emoji23]. Very interesting story.

JohnDHomanIII

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2020
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Witching rods
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably a little late but i've narrowed the estimated area of the possible location to 1 property owner he seems to own all of the property described in the story. I am an avid hunter and have an app called Huntwise that lets me view who ones what in the United States. If anyone has tried contacting said person let me know how he responded?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a little late but i've narrowed the estimated area of the possible location to 1 property owner he seems to own all of the property described in the story. I am an avid hunter and have an app called Huntwise that lets me view who ones what in the United States. If anyone has tried contacting said person let me know how he responded?

Mr John - WELCOME to TNet...........!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread