Lost treasures in Indiana

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Thats intersting...

lived in Terre Haute until recently and have family that detect there...going to let them check this out!! Good info!

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live just a short 2 counties away and a quick hop down I-70. May have to go check this one out when I am slow in my area.

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tale of Morgan's buried treasure in Knox county is un-true. General Morgan was never near Vincennes. He landed at Maukport after crosing the Ohio River in southern Indiana. Vincennes is roughly 135 miles NorthWest of Maukport. Morgan headed North to Corydon and then went East towards Ohio. He never went West at all. Here is a exert from a historical account by the county treasurer in Versailles, Indiana.

At Versailles Col. Morgan Demanded the funds from the safe of the county treasurer. The treasury was in charge of deputy, B. F. Spencer, who had safely buried the county funds hours before Morgan arrived. He opened the safe and gave the rebel leader the cash, $5000. A number of purses also lay in the safe. "What are those?" inquired the raider.

"They are purses of money placed here by several widowed ladies for safe-keeping," the gallant Spencer, of Kentucky blood, himself answered the Confederate leader.

"Keep them safe. I never robbed a widow yet", was Morgan's farewell word as he ordered his men to remount and to ride . . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions