SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 99.9% sure this is the property in question for this article. It is just north of Elwood. This plat is from 1901 so Jasper had died I believe and Eliza is daughter or wife. Issue with the story still stands though. Morgans raid as the reason a treasure was hidden there just doesn't make sense. Unless maybe at the time Morgan was coming into the state people just freaked and there was rumors of coming to Indianapolis or even being in Indianapolis. I think that is possible. In fact I think if you think about it hard enough the fact that its the reason given bolsters the story. Because if it was fake they could of and more than likely would of thought of a much better reason it was hidden. If these three men really looked for three years they had some very compelling info that is for sure. This property is something I will be checking out over next few weeks. Looks very promising as far as not being developed. If something was there and they just couldn't find it odds are its still there. Not much has changed. View attachment 1943466

Rich, Great work on digging on this thread and Thanks Jeff for starting it!

I did some digging and agree that Morgan was never near Elwood, IN.

Here's what I found;
July 8, 1863 - Morgan crosses into Indiania at Brandenburg, KY
July 9th - skirmished along the way to Corydon (plundered homes and businesses)
July 10th - skirmished at Salem and turned eastward
July 11th - skirmished at Pekin
July 12th - Morgan in the Vernon area
July 13th - Morgan crossed into Ohio at Harrison

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a quote from a Kentucky Kache thread about an old CSA veteran who claimed to serve under Morgan:

The night before his capture, Morgan allegedly buried 5,000 in gold coins extorted from mill owners in Indiana somewhere between West Point and East Liverpool.
Around 1905, an elderly gentleman who claimed to have been a member of Gen. John H. Morgan’s forces appeared at the Hansaker farm on Sanner Road in Starr Township in Hocking County. According to the old veteran, a party of raiders he had been riding with on Morgan’s 1863 foray into Kentucky and Ohio had buried an iron pot full of stolen gold coins, jewelry, and other valuables in the area as they headed for Nelsonville in an effort to shake the Federal pursuit that dogged them. The old vet did a lot of searching in the vicinity of Oil Well and Berry Hollows, but he never did locate the cache.

Unless its been found, the bulk of any treasure probably isn't in Elwood

Michael, great research, here's some info I found;

Sanner Road is 150 miles from the location where Morgan surrendered, but West Point and East Liverpool is confirmed as an area where Morgan could have been the day before he surrendered on July 26th, 1863. My research shows that Morgan was near Stuebenville on July 25th, which is just south of West Point.

Sanner Road.png

West Point to East Liverpool.png

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real question to the most likely location of the cache is did Morgan intend to surrender on the 26th and decide to bury the cache the day before or did he have it cached earlier since he was in pursuit and he suffered massive losses on July 19th in a skirmish at Buffington Island?

Here's other possible locations;

July 20th - skirmished at Hockingport and Coal Hill near Cheshire
July 21st - no information on location
July 22nd - skirmished at Eagleport
July 23rd - skirmished at Rockville
July 24th - skirmished at Washington and Athens
July 25th - skirmished at Steubenville

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
legacy- I believe your 1901 site is Jasper's land.

1876 Map

J Denny 1876 Map.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread