jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be one of those Sites I'd be researching & Hoping Walmart hasn't Built there

The sun.
(New York [N.Y.]), 09 Oct. 1904.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

The sun. (New York [N.Y.]) 1833-1916, October 09, 1904, Second Section, Page 10, Image 24 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

S

stefen

At least a person can pick his friends, unlike relatives which you're stuck with...

rob250

Mar 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is some good stuff!! Maybe we should get a research team going !!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Micajah Cage Chamness (1817 - 1907) - Find A Grave Memorial

Birth:Jul. 3, 1817
Alexandria
Madison County
Indiana, USA
Death:Mar. 14, 1907
Orestes
Madison County
Indiana, USA
trans.gif

Micajah Cage Chamness, the first settler in Monroe Township, died last night at the home of his daughter in Orestes. He was born July 3, 1818 in Alexandria. Micajahs father entered the land now known as Alexandria and Cage had a good portion of the big farm west of Alexandria near Orestes and began as a young man began to clear much of it for farming. At one time he owned nearly 400 acres. Before his death he was of unsound mind and lived the life of a recluse in a log cabin one mile north of Orestes. He kept two ferocious dogs and carried knives for protection for he believed someone was trying to poison him. He is survived by five children. Mrs. Louisa Doan and W.E. Heritage of Alexandria, Mrs. Sarah Lamar of Orestes, Mrs. Webb of Frankton, and Anthony Chamness of Elwood. The funeral will be at his daughters home in Orestes at 1:30 p.m. Rev. Bragg officiating. Interment is at the Carvers Cemetery.

area still looks lightly populated

itled.jpg

Last edited:

rob250

Mar 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Alexandria, let me know if I can help . There could have been a log cabin in a lot of fields but we might be able to narrow it down

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck ! I'd love to hear someone local at least found one of his caches. :thumbsup:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very good story for members in that state to search for. Good luck to all and keep in touch. I live in Connecticut and only interesting in my state stories.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
"Misers aren't much fun to live with, but they make great ancestors". a quote that I had found somewhere which seems applicable here .

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story/lead.

It seems odd that a story would print like that, while the man was alive.

It could have sent all manner of bad people his way.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever come up with an address for this property ?
It might be advantageous to contact current owners and bid out a split...
This has very good potential.
Surprised this thread has not received any new info as well.
Some due research from hard core local or a somewhat local could perhaps shed some light on the current "status" of said "hoard".

Which undoubtedly is there if no later story of it being found.

Just by the article ... this is a 10 on a 10 scale of "potential".

chank4400

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to Orestes, IN this week to investigate the location of the cabin. I believe I know where it was located, and there hasn't been much development in the area. His father was one of the first settlers in the township and played a critical role in the development of Alexandria, IN, I have located his farm as well. Interesting side fact, his grandfather in legend was supposed to have been kidnapped from London and brought to America as an indentured servant. The reason I bring up the family, is because of the wealth the family as a whole. The family from what I have researched did very well in government real estate, and natural gas wells.

This is what I ask myself when deciding to pursue, why would the money still be there? His kin were well off, and maybe not in the want or need to dig up their eccentric family members land. Coming from a very hard working, money saving lineage it is plausible he saved almost every penny.

He called his cabin "Three 80's", does this mean anything to anybody?

jbnick

Feb 3, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 300 DFX
Maybe he owned three 80 acre parcels that is cabin was on? Very interesting stuff! I live in Bloomington and will definitely stay tuned to this thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions