Reno Brothers Cache

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
I found a Treasure Mag. clipping, that states in 1950 a box was found near Lafayette Junction. The box was turned over to a local law officer after being counted and a receipt given for $67.000. The finders never got any of it. As the law officer departed the area that evening and hasn't been seen since.This was thought to be the Reno loot. If so it has been found. So you can go onto something else.

serpent

Feb 16, 2004
I did research along time ago on this. There were several robberies that netted 200 grand or more. the problem is that it was all in paper currency, despite the legends of gold coins. I found a historical reference book that was written only 5-10 years after these events took place, in our local library. indiana of course. These same train tracks ran through the reno family property and extended south to the robbery sites. no doubt the money is either on the property or along the tracks in a 10 mile stretch. not much chance of finding it though. paper currency from the 1870's is nothing but peet mulch by now.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
metaldetectorman said:
Does anyone have any information on the Reno Brothers Cache? All I know is they supposedly buried over 80,000 dollars from a train robbery. Any information would be appreciated! No way to know if it was coins or paper, though.

Thanks,
Dan

$98,000 taken from train robberies in 1868, supposedly hidden near Seymour. 4 gang members were later hanged at New Albany.

Smitty

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
Kenny Wray and Mona are great folks, they got me started in this hobby. Kenny sold me my first of many detectors.
Seymour like alot of Indiana places are rich in history and have documented it very well check out their books if you get te chance.
Best Regards, Ray

kydave

Oct 7, 2006
Guess you know about the gold in the creek that runs thru their property? Shhhhh! Keep it quite though!

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Seymour,In Jackson county for five years. Looked and researched it some more around the Rockford area outside of seymour. The problem could lie in the fact the White River could have washed the stash away. If it was buried along the River.

I know Rockford use to be a trading post or small village. I do know the area floods every year.
Hope this helps someone. It is definetly worth looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread