Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Potosi journal. (Potosi, Mo.), 24 April 1901

000111.jpg

Potosi journal. (Potosi, Mo.) 1894-1929, April 24, 1901, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
I couldn't find any other articles about Alvin Traylor searching for or finding buried money.

He lived near Cato:
Traylor Alvin 1906 npp.JPG

And owned this land as of 1910 map:
Traylor Alvin land 1910.JPG

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's possible he got too many visits after the first one,
and decided not to update the media

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
James Russell formerly owned 40 acres of Alvin's land. Maybe he was the gambler? Purchased it in 1893.
Probably the 40 acres in the NE1/4 NE1/4 sec 15 on the 1910 map.

Traylor Alvin purchased land 1893 npp.JPG

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure Coincidence, I doubt Street Hoods in N.O. were Familiar with the Deal 8 years before,
unless he bragged about his dads find

000ggg.jpg

000hhh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless most newspapers misspelled Alvin Traylor .. Trailer or Taylor or Allin or Allen or several other ways. and combinations,
which was possible back then. I've exhausted all my news paper sources

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great talent for research and finding these old articles. I don't expect you to, but perhaps you could find something in the papers about the digging up of thousands of Native american bodies around 1870? from an alleged Indian war that happened near Lanesboro and Whalan Minnesota (the war predated the locals excavating the burial sites by what was estimated a few hundred years). Lanesboro is my home town. Lanesboro had a couple of papers during that time. There was also a paper in Preston Minnesota which is only a few miles from Lanesboro and the county seat. The one article i did read, said they dug up hundreds, if not thousands of bodies and it was reported the bones had almost completely decayed away too and they found tools and weapons and they were told by a local indian that it had been passed down through story that a warring party from Wisconsin had come over for some sort of retribution and this was a war on the banks of the Root River (which flows through Lanesboro and Whalan). I imagine the papers would have reported on the digs going on.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great talent for research and finding these old articles. I don't expect you to, but perhaps you could find something in the papers about the digging up of thousands of Native american bodies around 1870? from an alleged Indian war that happened near Lanesboro and Whalan Minnesota (the war predated the locals excavating the burial sites by what was estimated a few hundred years). Lanesboro is my home town. Lanesboro had a couple of papers during that time. There was also a paper in Preston Minnesota which is only a few miles from Lanesboro and the county seat. The one article i did read, said they dug up hundreds, if not thousands of bodies and it was reported the bones had almost completely decayed away too and they found tools and weapons and they were told by a local indian that it had been passed down through story that a warring party from Wisconsin had come over for some sort of retribution and this was a war on the banks of the Root River (which flows through Lanesboro and Whalan). I imagine the papers would have reported on the digs going on.

Checking . Not sure How Popular the Phrase "Native american" was back then

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions