jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd guess if he had that much of a Conscience, he didn't bury it in or near his house.
if he did, then most likely a corner of the Property of just outside it

The Indianapolis journal.
(Indianapolis [Ind.]), 16 June 1895.

00aa.jpg
00bb.jpg
00cc.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=30

Last edited:

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker w/ BloodHound Antenna
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now... if THAT isn't interesting? I grew up on that farm. Mom and Dad bought that place from Lawrence Kern in 1949. It still had the sign board, "OVERMAN" over the big doors of the barn. Dad took it down and put his own sign over the doors about 1952. On county and township maps of Tipton County, Indiana, the farm is designated "Overman." We lived in the old farmhouse with an outside privy and a hand pump for well water until 1954, when Dad built a new house and had the old one torn down. Nobody saw any shillings or anything of the nature as far as I'm aware.

Dad put in a new fence out past the barn and when he and my older brother dug a hole for a gatepost, our hogs ran up and started eating the dirt that they were bringing out of the hole with the post hole diggers. Dad kicked them back as much as he could, so as to finish digging the hole and setting the post but you couldn't drive the hogs back as they were so determined and persistent. A number of vertebrae came out of the hole and the hogs ate them. We just figured that it was an animal that'd been buried there. (???)

A storm took the old hay barn down in 1968 and the main beams and timbers were salvaged before the rest of it was burnt. We had a "mean ol' rooster" that would flog you with his wings and talons if he caught you out in the barnyard. One day when Mom was 'fixin' to bake a cake, she needed a couple of eggs so I went with her out to the chicken house to gather the eggs. I remember Mom said, "Where's that damned ol' rooster at? I don't want him to see us out here getting the eggs!"

But as we started back toward the house, the rooster came out from around the front of the barn and he saw us! He came running - half flying - with his wings flapping as he came. Mom yelled, "Oh, ****! He's SEEN us!"

Mean_Rooster.jpeg

She looked around for something to use for a weapon but only found a little piece of a cedar shingle that'd blown down off of the barn roof. The ol' rooster bounded up at Mom, buffeting her face with his wings and trying to jab his talons into her arms as she attempted to fight him off. She managed to slap him upside the head with the little, wood shingle and the rooster began running furiously around in circles.

"Now what the hell do you 'spose is wrong with that damned rooster?" He continued cavorting around until he finally fell over and started kicking. Mom looked at the shingle and it had a nail in it. When she slapped the mean ol' rooster, the nail had been driven right through both eyes! We had chicken and dumplings that night for supper when Dad got home from work in Kokomo. Oh, and we had cake for dessert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread