jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizona republican. [volume] (Phoenix, Ariz.), 08 Aug. 1899.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...xt=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=22

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd how there is no mention of a date period by the "professor"... heh

Only a vague theory.

Also... the "shield shape"... :/

Did they mean the overall shape of the coin OR the shape ON the coin ?

Interesting little tidbit story though... as usual Jeff :)

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over due update on this - The Coins as described in below link are approx the size of a Dime. Sounds very much like 12 or 13th Century as I will include a pic of a coin that I believe matches the description. Could this be some proof of Scottish in America long before Christopher Columbus? I need to find out more about this professor and where he taught???

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...=professor E.E. Gilmore archaeologist&f=false

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=sale&sid=3576&cid=108476

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple other odd things about this story... Marietta Indiana is located in Shelby County not Crawford County. There is however a Marietta in Crawford County Wisconsin?

Also Harrison County Indiana is not even close to 18 miles away more like 110 miles away. (coincidentally there is also a Harrison County in Wisconsin but it is even further away from Marietta in Wisconsin)

Most likely it is Marietta Indiana and but very odd that the county is wrong and the farmer's account of the dirt is also incorrect (my best guess at this point is reporting mistake) Harrison County is rich in Limestone which may explain the soil difference. I know southern Indiana (bloomington) has a distinct red clay soil that is not even present where I live 1 hour north east.

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Ken

That helps so the farmers were likely from Marietta and the coins were found near the town of English (missing from the first story) which fits the approx 18miles from Harrison County.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another update - I originally had the wrong Marietta (which explains my distance confusion) the Marietta in the article interestingly enough appears to be a Ghost town of sorts today aka West Fork. I am doing further research on the history of West Fork/Marietta. The distance of 18miles now check out to be accurate as well (current map shows approx 12/13 miles it doesn't say specifically what farm location they were at) - This one is going to keep me up at night:coffee2:
Marietta-Indiana.PNG

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, That is the exact coin I posted above - Matches the description perfectly (really adds credibility to the story) - I just wish I could find more on this professor and the actual farm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread