Woodwards Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Woodward's Gold

Hardin Butler was born in Adair County, Kentucky, was a grandson of John Butler, one of the most noted of Kentucky's Indian scouts.

Butler's character could not but be well known in a pioneer community, and this was perhaps his only recommendation to his fellow citizens in selecting him as a delegate to the constitutional convention. He was not a public speaker even to the extent of being a debater in the debating societies that were so common in the early history of the county. On one occasion, a political meeting at Glasgow, Butler was called on to make a speech. He arose and said, "Fellow citizens!" and feeling the strangeness of his position he repeated "Fellow citizens!" and not even then being able to add anything, he again repeated, " Fellow citizens! " when a man in the audience said, " Now you have done it!" and the speech was brought to a close.
Butler's notoriety does not so much depend on his labors as a delegate to the constitutional convention as on his connection with the first homicide in the county, the killing of John Woodard, in June 1856. Butler lived on a farm in Cedar township, now the property of George Phillips, on which Levi Tracy lives. And on en adjoining farm, also belonging to Phillips, lived John Woodard, a brother of John Huff's wife. Woodard went to California in search of gold, and was successful in getting quite a sum, but on his return he found that gossip had made free with his wife's name in connection with Butler's. Mrs. Woodard had made her home, in the absence of her husband, with her mother, Mrs. Kiger, a widow. Ever since the days of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra the world has witnessed evils arising from the separation of husband and wife for any lengthened period. Woodard swore he would avenge his honor by killing Butler on sight, and these threats coming to Butler's ears, it was not long until he gave Woodard an opportunity to make them good. Taking his son, Elkanah with him in a wagon he drove by the little cabin in which the Woodards dwelt, to get a load of wood; just after passing the cabin the road descended a steep hill, and when nearing the bottom of the hill Butler heard a loud cry near the top of the hill, where he saw Mrs. Woodard standing with her arms extended pointing to Woodard, who was running after him with one hand behind his back. Giving his son the lines he picked up his rifle from the bottom of the wagon and steadying himself by standing astride of the board which served as a seat, he took deliberate aim, and when Woodard brought his arm in front, shot him through the heart, and it could not be told whether they fired simultaneously or whether only one discharged his weapon. Butler at once surrendered himself to the authorities and a trial acquitted him on the ground of self-defense.
The death of Woodard led to much speculation as to what had become of the gold which it was known he had brought with him from California. After searching in every conceivable place for it, Mrs. Woodard employed a man who lived in the neighborhood named Keltner, who had studied astrology, to endeavor by his art to discover the lost gold.
In a life of so many vicissitudes it is hardly to be wondered at, that he should endeavor to peer into the future, and so he had made a study of judicial astrology. It was this art that Mrs. Woodard enlisted in her behalf to find the money. But whether the stars refused to give up the secret to their interrogator, or whether as many thought there was no secret to yield, the money all the while being in Mrs. Woodard's possession, it is still a subject of conjecture what became of the gold.

http://iagenweb.org/history/historicalrecords/jul1899.htm

K

Kentucky Kache

Re: Woodward's Gold

Gypsy, this is my home county, and the Butler's are in my family tree. I don't think I had ever seen this story, thanks for posting it.

I can't think of any reason why Woodard's wife would search for the money if it wasn't there. Another one to research.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Well get busy pal...Go find that cache!...... and dont forget your good friend Gypsy when you do!

K

Kentucky Kache

Illinois is between us, so, whoever gets there first. ;D Actually, I guess the home was in Iowa, so that would be a little closer to you.
I have info on the family if you ever need it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions