Treasure Cache of Prostitutes Gold Coins

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In Galena Kansas there is a Treasure Cache of Prostitutes Gold Coins

Ill-gotten gains ,in more ways than one, has lead many treasure seekers to Galena Kansas. Madam Steffleback decided that she could make just as much money on her feet,rather than her back and in less time. Her 2 story bordello in the 1890's was the most popular place in town,filled to the rafters with miners,gamblers and businessmen. Even though wealthy, she couldn't help but notice the prospectors who paid for their drinks and their ladies in gold coins. With the aid of her son, she was soon eliminating miners of their gold and lives. Growing bolder and richer by the minute,she got away with these murders for a long time. She never deposited any of this money,yet squirreled it away ...somewhere. After a heated argument with one of her 'girls' ,the girl went to the authorities and spilled the beans on Madam Steffleback. She was arrested the next day .They searched the Steffelback property ,but nothing was found. Then searched nearby mine shafts ,where the bound remains of 13 miners were found.

She was tried and sent to the State Woman's Prison in Lansing Kansas, but never admitted her guilt,nor hiding place for the treasure. Officials watched her carefully ,believing she would reveal the hiding spot,but she never did. She died in 1909 ,taking the secret with her.

Over the years treasure seekers have flocked to the galena area in search of this gold,even ripping up the walls and floors of the old bordello...but in vain.

Attachments

• swing_-_pink_ribbons.jpg
    swing_-_pink_ribbons.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,820
K

Kentucky Kache

I like it. The story, that is. ;) That would be one worth searching for.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Probability is that the coins were stashed someplace convenient and shallow / easy to access (in a crock under a flat stone, etc.)

1) because after offing a 'donor' she would not want to stay at any one location for long - had to make her deposit quickly

2) because she would have needed to be able to readily access the spot after each 'donation' and for withdrawels

3) because she wouldn't have been stashing it as one lump sum to be retrieved sometime down the road

My bet is somewhere along the path between the bordello and the mine, but nearer the mine than the bordello.

Diggem'

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hey Hangman...This is a legend...its been published in several treasure books,magazines, Galena history and also is on several internet sites. Do with it what you may...its a legend ...to be retold until someone finds it! Good Luck.

S

stefen

On a recent trip to Northern California, we visited a restaurant that was a former bordelo. Apparently this 1880's building was being renovated recently and coins and bags of gold dust were found between the wall studs. Will be returning in a week or so and will try to get a copy of the story.

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
Whats the story about her SONS (S)? If one was willing to split someones head open with an axe, he surely was evil enough to find out were she was putting the loot, even if he had to get a a brother to watch her if one son took the body off to bury or hide it . Were any of them ever found and locked up? But evenSalon owners buried their loot. That has gotten me interested in Ghost towns lately. So even if the sons got some of the loot there could be more that they never found. AND there were other Saloons in the town, and some miners could have buried their extra gold around the area before going into town..

Gold Seeker

Aug 17, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
MXT
Hey gypsy --

This one does sound like a good one to go try and find. Does anyone have any idea where the old place was? I know it burned down and that the place may have (or was) filled in. Apparently when people started sifting through the burned out cellar, they came across some bones (no doubt the victims... :o). There was no further search of the area. I think to this day no one knows exactly where the place stood.

delhomme17

short34

Greenie
Oct 26, 2009
grandview plaza junction city kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me and my family are going down to galena this summer on are way to Springfield Missouri and we are going to check this out I think they have a museum down there. I'm hoping to find more info and locations on the mines and see if I could do some mding around there.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be aware - currently in Galena, there is an old house publicized as "The Haunted Bordello", or "Murder Bordello", purported to be the one Madam Steffleback did her deeds....THIS IS NOT THE HOUSE, NOR IS IT IN THE ORIGINAL LOCATION OF STEFFLEBACK'S WHOREHOUSE. Several years ago, some "paranormal investigator" convinced the owners of this old house that it was haunted by the spirits of the murder victims, and talked them into restoring the old building as a tourist trap.

I haven't researched this in detail, but I am not sure if the site of the original house is known. The Cherokee County Records office in Baxter Springs might have plat maps for Galena from the 1890's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread