OSAGE INDIANS SEARCHING FOR TWO KETTLES OF GOLD.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
February 13, 1893, Wednesday

Page 5, 539 words

TOPEKA, Kas., Feb. 12 -- The "pot-of-gold" story has reached the Osage Indians south of Arkansas City, and there is the greatest excitement among them in consequence, as they fully realize the present value of dollars. According to traditions which have been handed down for four generations, vast treasures lie buried near the mouth of Cow Skin River. [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...50C1A9649C94629ED7CF&scp=186&sq=treasure&st=p

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Is there anything else to this story? I live pretty close to where this creek dumps into Spring River and would be interested in knowing more.

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
I agree. I was thinking today and do you think that they would bury it right on the river knowing that if the water came up it could expose the treasure? I think they would've hid it off of the river some distance or up on a high bank. I need to get on my four wheeler and go take a look at it again. I've seen it a hundred times but never thought about anything like this being under my feet

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest a cave closed with a Boulder or Boulders

Published Feb. 13, 1893

111111.jpg
222222222222.jpg
3333333333333333333333.jpg

Last edited:

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Once we get done w baseball and the leaves start getting off of the trees I'm going to have to go look around. From what I can remember there are no bluffs or anything. Just pasture and grain fields and river bottom.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pasture & Grain fields can be a Help if you have allot of flat land with Nothing in sight.

look off in all directions for Permanent things.
rock outcroppings, mounds, anything that someone could have used as a reference point when
there wasn't even farms there yet. then check every nook & crannie with your detector & eyes.

Keep us Updated, at least till you have to keep quiet :laughing7:

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
The flat land is what has me thinking that it's not right on the river. I'm thinking that there maybe something back off the river aways that would be a better place to hide something

Last edited:

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Well..... After a little research I'm thinking that this was in Oklahoma and not Kansas. I was hoping that that they had messed up the name of Cow Creek bc there is one of those that dumps into Spring by my house. Where Cowskin River use to meet up w Soring is now under water and helps make up the start of Grand Lake O' the Cherokees in Oklahoma. If that's the case it is likely gone forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread