Lost Treasures around Kentucky

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Found this, several interesting stories.

Kentucky Treasure Stories Cache Or Treasure Hunting. ... Jonathan Swift's Silver
. Those who have read Jonathan Swift's journal, have come across his ...
Afterwards he buried the silver and closed the mine entrance. ...

metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=137839

Terry M.

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
I read something interesting in the local paper today, in the yesteryears section. 40 years ago in 1969 GOLD, SILVER and Lead ore was found in the Lawerance, Elliott and Rowan county triangle, the paper called it the next American Gold rush....Anyone know of this or has anyone found anything in that area?

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
terry, there are a few thing in this area, Elliott county near McCloun cr. the old diamond mine and in the creek itself rubies were found by a geologist in 1921. near the mouth of the same creek silver bars were found, the creek runs into the little sandy river. problem is the dam put in has covered the mouth of the creek. i don't remember which news paper this next part was in? It was ether the ashland ky or the huntington wv. paper. when the grayson ky. lake dam was being built they ran into a silver vein that was near the base of the dam. behind carter caves state on smokey creek silver bars and money molds were found. On tigerts creek near the same state park, several gold nuggets were found in a small cave. In a small rock-house on tigert an old sluice box was found. they were both with in a mile of the bridge, down steam from the park. terry, most of this is from memory and there are a lot of stories on this area. if you are close to this location, check the old news papers (library) and internet, pull up history of say carter county, old news paper clipping carter county. you would be surprised at what you can find.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Boomer
hope things are going good for you, we haven't heard from you in quite a while, everyone is wondering where you went. Thanks for all your help in helping me understand some of the clues i have run across over these last couple years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread