Carter/Lewis County KY. Silver

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
There are a lot of stories about silver in Carter County and along the border with Lewis County, This is one more.

I have seen two of those dollars and they are home made, vary crude. Where did he smelt them or did he find a stash of coins and could there be more buried near his cabin, if the silver was pure and he melted out of rock? HMMM. There is an old story about wire silver being found about 20 miles south west of greenup KY. Anyway here is the story.

Attachments

• SPRINKLE DOLLARS.jpg
    SPRINKLE DOLLARS.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 845
  • SPRINKLE DOLLARS.jpg
    SPRINKLE DOLLARS.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 685

KyCreeker

Apr 3, 2013
Olive Hill, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know this thread is old but digging up old things is what this games about. There are several stories of silver in Carter county. The sprinkle dollar is one of many. There is one of Native Americans near present day Carter Caves, a warrior named Haraken (forgive my spelling errors) supposedly mined silver and made a silver pipe and tomahawk. The story says his lady friend killed herself and he tombed her in a cave. Turns out they found a native body when the state acquired the park. And someone found a silver peace pipe and tomahawk.
I met an old man named Tom Ervin that had a deed to his great grandfathers place and on the deed was marked "Silver Mine". This property turned out to be the Ed Ervin farm on Tygarts creek right in Carter Caves property. It it now owned by someone out of state. I'm working on finding the current owner.
In 1890 a man found a silver bar 8 inches by 4 inches, 1 inch thick on the property of Dennis Burchett on Smokey Creek. Smokey Creek used to empty into tygarts creek before they put in the reservoir.
One of the first settlers in Carter County name of Lewis found some cinders near his cabin and they tested to be almost pure silver. A smith made his family some spoons. In 1960 a silver spoon with the date 1774 was found about a mile outside grayson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread