🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kt.jpg

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The miles south of downtown Lexington would be approximately where the old Mall and Home Depot are located. Somewhere in the vicinity of Richmond Road and New Circle. Hey, there's that golf course on the right headed into town :o

K

Kentucky Kache

1320 said:
The miles south of downtown Lexington would be approximately where the old Mall and Home Depot are located. Somewhere in the vicinity of Richmond Road and New Circle. Hey, there's that golf course on the right headed into town :o

HWY 27 would be more direct south. Of course that's only a few miles from Richmond rd/New circle.

K

Kentucky Kache

1320 said:
Roger that, I'll start digging on Richmond Road, you start digging on 27...meet ya in the middle! :walk: :walk:

We'll meet somewhere on Tates Creek road. ;D

Have you ever researched the location of Pettit's farm? I haven't.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm looking on my Beers and Lanagan map but I ain't finding his farm. He may have been run out of town or deceased by the time the map was made though. I would think that a picture of Allegheny Hall would be easy to find......not!

Let me get this straight, he buried the gold himself only to return later and couldn't relocate it? Think the Union occupation of his farm might have found it for him?

K

Kentucky Kache

1320 said:
I'm looking on my Beers and Lanagan map but I ain't finding his farm. He may have been run out of town or deceased by the time the map was made though. I would think that a picture of Allegheny Hall would be easy to find......not!

Let me get this straight, he buried the gold himself only to return later and couldn't relocate it? Think the Union occupation of his farm might have found it for him?

Here's the story from Henson.

A land grant given to Colonel John Campbell for services during the Revolutionary War later became the site where William Pettit built his home, called Allegan Hall, in the 1840'S.
The original house was made of logs. Just prior to the Civil War, Pettit, a wealthy man for the times, converted all his holdings into gold coins and buried them somewhere near his home, intending to wait out the war. One story tells that he was killed during the Civil War, another version is that he died of a fever in Georgia. No record of Pettit ever retrieving his gold can be found.

Maybe you could find something on the land grant of Colonel John Campbell.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks for the tip! It wasn't that hard to find after all. You got me close with the spelling on the residence, it's Alleghan Hall. Pettit died in 1868. Charles Burt owned it at the time my map was made. Right you are, US27 it is....let's go get us some gold!

K

Kentucky Kache

1320 said:
Thanks for the tip! It wasn't that hard to find after all. You got me close with the spelling on the residence, it's Alleghan Hall. Pettit died in 1868. Charles Burt owned it at the time my map was made. Right you are, US27 it is....let's go get us some gold!

Let's do it.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm guessing the home might have been located between Southland and Pasadena. The Toys R Us is a tad over 4 miles from downtown Lexington. New Circle Road is right at the 4 mile mark. That's some heavily populated real estate right now! I'll have to make a drive thru there this weekend.

K

Kentucky Kache

1320 said:
I'm guessing the home might have been located between Southland and Pasadena. The Toys R Us is a tad over 4 miles from downtown Lexington. New Circle Road is right at the 4 mile mark. That's some heavily populated real estate right now! I'll have to make a drive thru there this weekend.

Let me know what you think. I'm sure it's for to populated for any searching, but there's nothing like trying.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there two years ago, go to the University and ask for the historical section, the lady there called a professor he knew exactly where it (the Hall they even have pictures of it) was...there is a subdivision there now and businesses around it. We had a new cuttingedge device, an element detector(1 mile range), so it didn't matter about the housing, but either someone found it while digging a basement or it was long gone before the subdivision because it isn't there now. Sorry but I have "busted" 60 of these legends that were in Terry's books (not blaming him) lots of hunting and have found a couple to be true.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Curtis said:
I was there two years ago, go to the University and ask for the historical section, the lady there called a professor he knew exactly where it (the Hall they even have pictures of it) was...there is a subdivision there now and businesses around it. We had a new cuttingedge device, an element detector(1 mile range), so it didn't matter about the housing, but either someone found it while digging a basement or it was long gone before the subdivision because it isn't there now. Sorry but I have "busted" 60 of these legends that were in Terry's books (not blaming him) lots of hunting and have found a couple to be true.

WOW! :o An element detector with a 1 mile range! Dang, you could cover all of Lexington in a few weeks....uh......did ya?! LOL

K

Kentucky Kache

1320 said:
Curtis said:

WOW! :o An element detector with a 1 mile range! Dang, you could cover all of Lexington in a few weeks....uh......did ya?! LOL

So it looks like we'll have to knock on a lot of doors. :tongue3:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
"Knocking on a lot of doors" ......LMAO! Yeah, I thought about the same thing. Heck, his farm was only 2,000 acres, how many houses could that be?! I just gotta get one of those elemental permission seekers, if the range on it can cover a mile, we in business!

K

Kentucky Kache

1320 said:
"Knocking on a lot of doors" ......LMAO! Yeah, I thought about the same thing. Heck, his farm was only 2,000 acres, how many houses could that be?! I just gotta get one of those elemental permission seekers, if the range on it can cover a mile, we in business!

Actually, it would be interesting to see the old pictures of the place.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No I don't go around checking people's houses...unless invited or looking for caches...Have to have a background investigation to even be considered able to purchase. Can do about any element...yes an element detector not metal detector.

I can tell you there is no gold at the "Mill" a few miles away either. People pay my expenses and a portion of the find! If you have a good lead and cannot find the cache PM me. I can tell you in minutes if its still there or not and zero in to it in less than 1 square inch.

Curtis

Georgann

May 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I grew up in Allegan Hall, the home of William Pettit, I can tell you that the exact location is the Zandale Drive extention off of Nicholasville Rd, now with a bank, Burger King, furniture store, offices and Remsey's restaurant. I am very familiar with the treasure rumors as we had people wanting to dig there much of my youth. At that time the house and grounds were only 6 acres. After moving away from Allegan Hall the property was developed for much of what is there now (with different businesses of course). In all the development excavation there was no treasure found but in all likelihood it would have been buried far away from the house, well beyond the 6 acres at Zandale Extended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread