Kentucky Treasure

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
About 1900, an old black man who had worked for the Parrish family for several years asked them what he should do with $1000 he had saved, in $20 gold pieces. They advised putting it in the banks at Glasgow. Uncle Lige, as he was known, didnt trust banks, and since he didnt own any property, he asked the Parrish family if he could bury the money on their farm.

A few days later, Uncle Lige brought a small iron pot, the gold coins, and a broken-handled shovel to the big house on the farm. Telling the owner he was going to bury his money, Lige walked down Beaver Creek, around a bend and out of sight. He returned about thirty minutes later, with only the shovel. He told the owner that if he died, the money was buried a few steps away from the creed, on the right-hand side.

Lige died a few days later, and the landowners son says the money has never been found. The old Parrish farm is located about four miles southwest of Glasgow

idnc68

Feb 26, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat story . I've read most of the treasure stories from kentucky but never heard about that one

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

idnc68

Feb 26, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm sure there is a lot that never been told except to local people of an area it happened. There's one here in madison county about a proabition bootlegger that hid a lot of silver in the 30's and I've even hunted the farm he lived on but I haven't had any luck finding it

idnc68

Feb 26, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree how's your hunting been.i went yesterday I pulled a 35 liberty and some wheates . I'm planing on trying my luck this weekend if the rain stays away

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I agree how's your hunting been.i went yesterday I pulled a 35 liberty and some wheates . I'm planing on trying my luck this weekend if the rain stays away

Not much luck, about 100 square nails the last two times out....lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread