Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Swift silver mine (KY)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

Re: Swift silver mine (KY)

I do know that a small vein of silver was discovered in Tazewell.

I found another reason today why a lot of these silver mines have not been found - they are misidentified. I was talking to my dad about a mine sight I gathered from putting together Swift's directions. I told him the exact location (within a couple of square miles according to one of Swift's journals). Believe it or not, my dad (who is 74 and knows these areas quite well) knew exactly the mines I was speaking of. The problem is, he and others thought it was a coal mines (assuming so, b/c none have ever been inside the mines).

Hopefully, I can find this mine within the next week or so and take some pics. I will also venture in and get some samples of what exactly was mined at one time and see if there is any more evidence.

Like I stated, I am really not into this to be silver mining in the high mountains and rough terrain, I am simply out to find some facts regarding Swift's activities in this area and to try and find some of his hidden caches of silver.
    REV 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

us
    Jan 2006
    North Carolina
    Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon

Monk, I stated National park, not state park look between Va & Ky. see which area i am refering too. Check Sand cave area and you are getting close.

Oct 2005
    Kentucky
    Fisher CZ3D, Tesoro Cibola

I am certain that silver ore, in relatively small amounts, have been found and mined in eastern ky. I have seen native ore that contains small amounts of silver. Most folks, when they think of silver mines, think of veins of pure silver. This isnt the case with the silver ore that has been found. I highly doubt that most folks would recognize silver ore if they stumbled over it. However, like swiftsearcher stated, the main search for most folks isnt as much for the silver ore as it is for the silver that has already been smelted/cached.

us
    Jul 2005
    West Virginia
    2 times

I had planned to leave today on a four day trip starting in Louisa and working south. I decided to delay my trip for a week due to bad weather. I am itching to get out, probably just spring fever. Good luck and good hunting.
    Just because it did not work does not mean it was not a good plan!

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

I am in the same boat Snake - was planning to go out today to a couple spots I found yesterday while four-wheeling with family and friends. However, it is snowing here currently, so I will be delayed as well for a few days.

I did manage to find a couple of interesting markers waaaaaaaaay back in the woods yesterday. Just cannot wait to check them out.
    Denboux likes this.
    REV 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Feb 2006

according to letters i have from 1887, ore out of one of swifts mines contains trace gold,lead, and large amount of silver. good luck on your hunt.

us
    Aug 2005
    Warrenton, VA
    Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
    1 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Just off the top of my head without looking through my notes, a journalist from SE Kentucky wrote a book about his journey from skeptic to believer. The last piece of evidence was a spearpoint (eight inches long?) made from silver ore. Michael Green? Doesn't seem like the right name, but close. If you did a search on books about the Swift legend, you should find his name easily,
    Over in the Red River Gorge area some silver ingots were dug up a few years ago. They were found by decyphering Cherokee writing on the stones nearby, more was supposedly hidden but the guy who got the translation did an incomplete job.
    Fellows, it's there. We just have to do more research both in print material and land surveys.

grizzly bare

Feb 2006

if i remember right it was 80% pure silver.

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

Grizzly, the man's name was Michael S. Steely that found the silver point. Actually, it was only a couple of inches in length.

The person who found the 15 silver ingots (7 oz. each) did find another cache Steely mentions in his book. The amount of silver found from the second cache was not mentioned, so I am assuming it was much larger than the first. The man who found the ingots had a map of the area and went to NC and had a Cherokee decipher it. According to the Cherokee, there were a total of 25 caches of treasure in the area. The last I heard, the man was still looking for the other 23 caches (has probably found more by now).

I do have a question for Grizzly and others here. One of the markers I found while four-wheeling was an extremely old Beech tree with the carving of "SPY 1751" on it. The inscription was definitely old, with moss growing in the carving. I plan to get back to that spot and a couple others in the area tomorrow and detect and take some pics. Any idea what this inscription means

On another tree (pine tree) down the mountain from this beech (the pine tree was actually so old it had fallen in half and was rotting) were the initials "JS" carved into the tree. This carving was so old that the J actually looked like a D until one got close to the tree from the bark rotting away. However the carving done was a J upon close inspection.

bpp4040

Hi Treasure Hunters

I'm a native of Ky but live in Florida now anyways i do know for a fact that there is silver in Ky because me and my cousin have found veins of it in morgan county Ky in the cave run lake area im from west liberty Ky and years ago when they built the new section of hwy 172 the road crew dug into a vein of silver and turn around and covered it up with the hwy i know this sounds far fetched but it is true there is also a tell of an old indian man whoes been long dead now has told my family and several others that if the state of Ky only knew what he knowed the state would not have to worry for money no more he had claimed that there was a cave in the paintsville lake area in johnson and morgan county area some where that it was gleaming with veins of gold that reached from the floor of the cave to the roof of it i mean i dont know for it to be a fact but this i was told all my life my uncle knew him personaly and he would never reveal the where abouts to my uncle we have searched alot of caves but nothing yet so your supisions of silver being in Ky this is a fact now i dont know of its percentage wise but do know its there good luck hunting remember the more you hunt the closer you get to the find.

bpp4040

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by swiftsearcher
    Grizzly, the man's name was Michael S. Steely that found the silver point. Actually, it was only a couple of inches in length.

The person who found the 15 silver ingots (7 oz. each) did find another cache Steely mentions in his book. The amount of silver found from the second cache was not mentioned, so I am assuming it was much larger than the first. The man who found the ingots had a map of the area and went to NC and had a Cherokee decipher it. According to the Cherokee, there were a total of 25 caches of treasure in the area. The last I heard, the man was still looking for the other 23 caches (has probably found more by now).

I do have a question for Grizzly and others here. One of the markers I found while four-wheeling was an extremely old Beech tree with the carving of "SPY 1751" on it. The inscription was definitely old, with moss growing in the carving. I plan to get back to that spot and a couple others in the area tomorrow and detect and take some pics. Any idea what this inscription means

On another tree (pine tree) down the mountain from this beech (the pine tree was actually so old it had fallen in half and was rotting) were the initials "JS" carved into the tree. This carving was so old that the J actually looked like a D until one got close to the tree from the bark rotting away. However the carving done was a J upon close inspection.
    \

In doing research of the swift lore, i came across a cherokee treasure legend...it was around the time 1770's - 1790's... The indians would sneek to the shawnee mines after they had left and dig their silver ore, another being the cherokee would do raids on early settlers and steal their things like money silver gold ecx, and then buriy it near by. I have found this genral area where the Indian raids took place.
    "A picture can speak a thousand words"

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    77 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

ive heard these Swift silver mines were closer to Powell county than
    to Paintsville, Morgan County or Virginia.
    Just shows, no one knows where these mines or, and probablly never will.
    ALLEN

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by allen
    ive heard these Swift silver mines were closer to Powell county than
    to Pintsville, Morgan County or Virginia.
    Just shows, no one knows where these mines or, and probablly never will.
    You are very right, the swift mines are VERY close to Powell Co. Im from Powell Co. lived here my whole life, and have spent half of it in the woods here. Check out my topics and posts in the swift silver mine forum for my findings.....Ive found alot of Swift clues...

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Yes, Ki has posted a lot of info on theSwift mines as has Swiftsearcher and others. We seem to be discussing everything, (except of course our exact search sites) and giving each other ideas and facts we have gleaned over the years. Check it out!
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

Curtis is on the right track as well, I personally believe its either in Curtis's area or my area. We have both found alot of things related to Swift and his workings. Also there is a Old Indian trail that leads from my area to Curtis's area. Now its just putting these many clues together, to try and solve this 250 year old puzzle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors