Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Psalms 23

Oct 2007
    Where the grass is blue
    Bounty Hunter Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Lost gold in Kentucky

I herd this story some time back. Some time in the mid 1800's the bank was robed in Morehead by three men. There was a shoot-out as they left the bank killing one of the robbers. The other two hide out in in the woods in a place now called Sharkey. They were later killed by a possey, but the money [$200,000 in gold] was never found. I all so remember something about a Bull Fork Road. Has anyone else heard this story.

Gator
    >IN GOD WE TRUST<

Feb 2005
    1 times

Re: Lost gold in Kentucky

Cool story! I haven't heard that one right off the bat, that I can remember! I'll see if I can find out anything on it! Are you from that area?

Cavers5

Jan 2007

That would be one tough haul for two robbers in the mid 1800's. $200,000 of gold would have weighed over 800 pounds (at $20 a Troy ounce).

us
    Psalms 23

Oct 2007
    Where the grass is blue
    Bounty Hunter Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by cavers5
    Cool story! I haven't heard that one right off the bat, that I can remember! I'll see if I can find out anything on it! Are you from that area?

Cavers5
    I know some people feom that area, but mose of them are young and have never heard the story .
    >IN GOD WE TRUST<

Brush Creek

Remember that the gold that was robed is insured and has been paid off to the bank by the insurance company's.
    There has been a number of times that treasure hunters find stolen gold and had to give it back to the insurance company that clames it is there property.
    Just something to keep in mind.
    Ow also its real easy to melt gold and silver down and make a few molds to make your own bars. Just something els to keep in mind.

happy hunting is almost here in the blue grass.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mar 2007
    Russell Springs,KY
    Ace 250 PRO

I don't know anything about that but on a related note. I live in Russell county, and my grandpa had always told a story that my dad remembers that sometime in the 1800's that supposedly "Jesse James",or maybe someone else connected to him, had robbed a bank and afterwards had stopped to camp close to where my grandpa's farm and buried the 100,000 in gold and silver somewhere close to my grandpa's farm. Apparently during the night they were "spooked" and had to leave before they could retrieve the "loot". This is supposed to be in the Webb's Crossroads area of Russell County,Kentucky. Does anyone know anything about this? Also there is supposed to have been an old General Store on the property that burned down in the 1800's,does someone know how I would go about finding out the exact location of the store on the property,because I now own the farmland. Any help would be worth so much to me. Thank you so much!!!!!

Birdy76

Brush Creek

Kentucky land managment site has maps back a ways that show where the homes and barns were. and also shows the old schools.
    I think they go back to the 20s. if I remember right.

Brush Creek

http://sos.ky.gov/land/reference/maps/

I think this is where you can find the old maps

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
    1 times

Great story........