Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I herd this story some time back. Some time in the mid 1800's the bank was robed in Morehead by three men. There was a shoot-out as they left the bank killing one of the robbers. The other two hide out in in the woods in a place now called Sharkey. They were later killed by a possey, but the money [$200,000 in gold] was never found. I all so remember something about a Bull Fork Road. Has anyone else heard this story.

Gator

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Cool story! I haven't heard that one right off the bat, that I can remember! I'll see if I can find out anything on it! Are you from that area?

Cavers5

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
That would be one tough haul for two robbers in the mid 1800's. $200,000 of gold would have weighed over 800 pounds (at $20 a Troy ounce).

OP
OP
Gator-Flea

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cavers5 said:
Cool story! I haven't heard that one right off the bat, that I can remember! I'll see if I can find out anything on it! Are you from that area?

Cavers5
I know some people feom that area, but mose of them are young and have never heard the story .

B

Brush Creek

Remember that the gold that was robed is insured and has been paid off to the bank by the insurance company's.
There has been a number of times that treasure hunters find stolen gold and had to give it back to the insurance company that clames it is there property.
Just something to keep in mind.
Ow also its real easy to melt gold and silver down and make a few molds to make your own bars. Just something els to keep in mind.

happy hunting is almost here in the blue grass.

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 4,436

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
??? I don't know anything about that but on a related note. I live in Russell county, and my grandpa had always told a story that my dad remembers that sometime in the 1800's that supposedly "Jesse James",or maybe someone else connected to him, had robbed a bank and afterwards had stopped to camp close to where my grandpa's farm and buried the 100,000 in gold and silver somewhere close to my grandpa's farm. Apparently during the night they were "spooked" and had to leave before they could retrieve the "loot". This is supposed to be in the Webb's Crossroads area of Russell County,Kentucky. Does anyone know anything about this? Also there is supposed to have been an old General Store on the property that burned down in the 1800's,does someone know how I would go about finding out the exact location of the store on the property,because I now own the farmland. Any help would be worth so much to me. Thank you so much!!!!!

Birdy76

B

Brush Creek

Kentucky land managment site has maps back a ways that show where the homes and barns were. and also shows the old schools.
I think they go back to the 20s. if I remember right.

bigred1951

Dec 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if anybody knows the original poster i would like to get in touch with him i seen he hasnt been on in a 2 years tho. But i have heard this story all my life from grandpa from his dad. I live in morehead and am close to the old bull fork road which is nothing more then a old trail in the woods now.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
if anybody knows the original poster i would like to get in touch with him i seen he hasnt been on in a 2 years tho. But i have heard this story all my life from grandpa from his dad. I live in morehead and am close to the old bull fork road which is nothing more then a old trail in the woods now.

The OP has contact info listed in his profile, perhaps that's worth a shot?

ashley84

Sep 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Bowling green, Lost River has postings on the trail where Jesse James was supposed to have hidden out at Cave Mill cave.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been all through that cave when I was in college...long before it had been taken over. I am glad they cleaned it all up though. The "lost river" has a resurgent point where it reappears over in Lamkin Park. I have lived here in Bowling Green for close to 30 years and have head the Jessie James stories as well. From what I have read it would seem more likely that they fled to the west and not toward Bowling Green because they had friendlier circumstances near their home turf. But, one never knows.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread