jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Louisiana Democrat. (Alexandria, La.), 19 June 1895.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

The Louisiana Democrat. (Alexandria, La.) 1845-1918, June 19, 1895, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

treasuregirls

Mar 2, 2015
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you found any other information on this? I would love to bounce some ideas off of each other.

treasuregirls

Mar 2, 2015
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Like there are 214 results containing “the phrase "john g. young" to look through.
I'm not sure How many actually refer to the Correct Plantation Owner.
But That would be the First Group I would look through.

Search Results « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

So I did some research and I found a John G. Young living in Rapides, LA in the early to mid 1800s. I looked up census reports and his occupation in 1850 is "Planter." I also found a "slave survey"for the same year and John G Young is listed as having close to 50 slaves.
Rapides Parish is about 70 miles from Catahoula Parish. Do you think the newspaper could have made a bit of a mistake or do you think this might be a different person?

treasuregirls

Mar 2, 2015
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually stumbled on a little more exciting news if you are into this, pm me and I'll send you pictures of the documents I've found.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I did some research and I found a John G. Young living in Rapides, LA in the early to mid 1800s. I looked up census reports and his occupation in 1850 is "Planter." I also found a "slave survey"for the same year and John G Young is listed as having close to 50 slaves.
Rapides Parish is about 70 miles from Catahoula Parish. Do you think the newspaper could have made a bit of a mistake or do you think this might be a different person?

hmm tuff call could be a relative, son, or he moved

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may have also been so wealthy he owned 2 farms

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
The Rapides Parish courthouse was burned down by Union troops during the Civil War, so the records are dated from 1864 forward. I have an Idea of where the property is located. I feel that John Goodman Young is the man of interest.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Mr Young was killed in November 1854 about 6 miles from Harrisonburg in Catahoula Parish. Someone named Garner was a suspect in this murder along with another murder a few days before near Alexandria. I have found a tract of land owned by Mires Rosenthal located on the Red River South of Alexabdria that I believe to be the place this treasure hunt took place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread