Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,116

ascaris

Greenie
Feb 10, 2007
Brewer, Maine
Just read your post. I would like to know your source. I would be interested in looking into this in more detail if possible. I live reasonably near some of the places mentioned henceforth the curiosity.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is my only source.

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Thanks for the post Jeff.I've actually been to the east branch of the swift river in byron for a day of panning.I didn't come up with any color but a little black sand but my older brother got an oatmeal size flake in his first pan!Nothing else the rest of the day for the four of us but a couple guys with dredges showed us a few vials with dust they had picked up.Still a good time.Jumped off the cliffs and took a swim before we left.
Edward Rowe Snow the author of alot of treasure tales books found an actual pirate treasure on Isle Au Haut back in the sixties I believe it was.I can't remember which novel it was in.
Thinking about taking a trip out to Frenchboro this spring it's an Island off Mount Desert Island (Acadia National Park)legend has it that people walking the beach there in the past have picked up black discs off the beach,at first they were skipping them like stones till they realized they were really silver coins.Writing my post silver on top the other day got me thinking about taking this trip. There is supposed to be a shipwreck out there somewhere that the coins are coming from.We don't have coin beaches here in Maine like in other states at least very few,so that should be a good time and you never know...
Bootstrap

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
ascaris said:
Just read your post. I would like to know your source. I would be interested in looking into this in more detail if possible. I live reasonably near some of the places mentioned henceforth the curiosity.

Hey! If you want to try some gem hunting, take a trip out rt. 26 (off the pike at Gray, go west on 26 toward Norway/Bethel)
The city of Auburn also has a gem mine at Mt. Apatite ( been there many times )

Stop at Perhams Maine Mineral store at Trapp corner. They have a little museum there and they own 5 mines in the area(Free to dig) They have info on gold panning also. There are also several Mineral clubs in Maine that can help.

I did a lot of panning, mining, and detecting while living there. Found lots of goodies there over the years.

Good luck!........HH

gold

Aug 2, 2008
Trap Corner in West Paris Maine is about 20 minutes from where I grew up. Supposedly Mollyockett, one of Maine's well known Indians buried treasure there before her family was run out. She died in Andover in 1816 but people have been looking for her treasures since then and still have come up empty handed. Some think it was only a diversion and that she buried her treasures on one of the many small islands of the Androscoggin River. I lived on that River my whole childhood years and actually went to school and was friends with a family who started a Mexican restaurant at Snow Falls between South Paris and Bethel.

For those who might not be aware but Mollyockett was traveling through on foot and a snow storm set in. She stopped in a Snow Falls and asked to be let in for shelter and was turned down because some viewed her as a witch doctor. She cast a spell on the area so that no business would ever succeed at that place.

Since then there have been fires at this one place that sits dead center right at Snow Falls. My friend Bobby was a cook for the Mexican restaurant, his parents owned the place. Father came down with a life threatening illness,which cost them the business. They were thinking fire, natural disasters etc and never thought it would take a family member's life. Still today the place sits there but many businesses have come and gone.

Also what is interesting about the place is there are weird things that happen there. I real bad accident back in the early 90's along that pass where all people including 4 teenage girls were killed in a car accident and one of the kids was decapitated.

I also was passing through one day and was pulled over in my dad's van on my way to South Paris. I was going under the speed limit but the cop said I was going way too fast. I would admit if I were speeding as I used to do a lot in my own car back when I went to school. But not this time. I received a ticket saying I was going 73 in a 50.

Anyway, back to the treasure. There are some good books out on the subject and people are still trying to find what she left behind.

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
i have been to many a mollyockett festival on the commons at bethel....i miss maine....hh

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live so close to trapp corner i can throw a rock and hit perhams and the river restuarant is doing well which is the former snow falls restuarant and i grew up in bethel and i know i live in one of the richest toumaline area's there is and benn doing research on mollyocketts treasure as well

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
I realize this is old but wanted to pass along that Perhams is no longer in business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread