zzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 949

Aqualand

Greenie
Jan 24, 2007
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro
Jeff, I've dived on a number of wrecks in the Bay. Old wooden wrecks usually give very little clue they're there. Most are below or just flush with the surface. Couple of tiny little worn frames or strakes breaking the surface of the sandy mud, and that's it. The visibility is usually no better than 6 feet, and often less. You find yourself in a light green world. Lose contact with your anchor line or the bottom and you're lost in space. Add a bit of current and it can get dicey. Only thing to do is inflate the BC and try to surface close to the boat -- for some reason, dive flags on the Bay act as an attractor for recreational boaters! There are hundreds and hundreds of wrecks in the Bay. Oystermen pull up artifacts and generally know where wrecks are. I've got a fine ship's bell that I purchased on the Eastern Shore years ago that likely came up in a dredge. Head boat captains often park themselves on old ballast piles because they hold rockfish. The stuff's there -- question is how hard you want to work for it while complying with Maryland's shipwreck law, which is (as such laws go) fairly reasonable but prohibits the kinds of excavation that the Florida crews use.

Coasty

Feb 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I live with in 3 miles of the largest battle fought during the war of 1812 in St. Leonard creek, the majority of the property is privately owned. Several years ago one of the barges for the Barny flotilla was discoverd. One cool thing as long as I hunt in tidal areas no one can say anything and finders keepers.

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live with in 3 miles of the largest battle fought during the war of 1812 in St. Leonard creek, the majority of the property is privately owned. Several years ago one of the barges for the Barny flotilla was discoverd. One cool thing as long as I hunt in tidal areas no one can say anything and finders keepers.

Coasty are you speaking of what was thought to be one of Barneys' boats found in SLC, if so we should talk, turned out it was not as it was thought,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread