Port Tobacco Maryland

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Port Tobacco Maryland

By most accounts and local lore, the spirit of a large blue dog protects his murdered master's treasure, buried somewhere on Rose Hill Road outside Port Tobacco. According to Rose Hill Road resident Charles Stuart, whose property contains the fabled rock that Blue Dog and his master were killed on, the first written account of the Blue Dog legend dates back to 1897, when his home's former owner, Olivia Floyd, told the Maryland Independent she had seen the ghost of the Blue Dog.

Although he hasn't seen the ghost of Blue Dog on February 8 in the 20 years he has lived on Rose Hill Road, Stuart, "doesn't doubt" the accounts of that date following the Revolutionary War, when Charles Thomas Sims, a soldier, and his dog were killed on Rose Hill Road while returning from a Port Tobacco Tavern.

Stuart said that Henry Hanos of Port Tobacco killed Sims and his dog for his gold and a deed to an estate. Hanos then buried the gold and deed under a holly tree along Rose Hill Road. When Hanos returned to recover the treasure, he was scared away by the ghost of Blue Dog and then fell ill, before suddenly dying.

One of the oldest communities on the East Coast, Port Tobacco first existed as the Indian settlement of Potopaco and was colonized by the English as early as 1634. Port Tobacco became a major seaport during the late 1600s and was the original county government seat. In addition to being a hot spot for confederate conspiracy and a part of John Wilkes Booth’s escape route, Port Tobacco suffered from local conflict as well. A vote was taken to move the county seat to La Plata where the railroad industry was becoming more resourceful than the seaport of Port Tobacco, but the vote did not pass. Then in 1892, the center part of the courthouse was burned in a mysterious fire and the county seat was moved to La Plata.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Port Tobacco Maryland

The only thing I have is on Port tobacco, but if I find anything else I will let you know.Any other counties in MD that you are looking for?

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer

Thanks. some of them I've seen and heard of before, but a few I haven't. I believe the Charles Wilson one for Worcester County might have been found, but it's in a place where you can't detect on Assateague Island. The guy who found it is a millionaire already and can afford the fines if he gets caught. It's a shame that he does it that way. He finds something, then takes it across the border to DE to display them. I would love to find just one piece of that treasure. He found a gold cross with pearls on it. The cross was about 4" tall by about 2" wide, worth about 1.2million.
The pearls were still good because it was on the bay side of the island under the silt layer which protected it.
They haven't said for sure whether it is the Wilson treasure or not, but the location fits.
I need to do more research on this area. I've actually hunted the Ironshire area around where they say the Cellar house is. I found 2 very old colonials there and another guy with us found a silver cob from the 1600s. I believe this is about where the old ghost town was.

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle

Great post Gypsy, If you just happen to run across anything about New Hanover,Brunswick,Pender and Onslow County NC please post or send a PM.
You are the best!

Thanks Gypsy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread