There is a possible cache of Gold and Silver coins in Grass Lake....

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Any of you ever hear of the Grass Lake bank robbery back in the 20s..or 30s? I did some research on it at the Jackson Library a few years back but never did anything about it.
Seems some thugs robbed the Grass Lake bank and fled to the then hotel off of Wolf lake road I believe. It has been gone for years now, the hotel that is. Anyway, the cops came and recovered all the loot and arreseted all that were involved. All the loot but for $400 in gold and silver coins. Never has been recovered as far as anyone knows. Probably was hidden and then recovered later by someone the thugs new. But it still could be out there in the Grass Lake area near where the old hotel used to sit. I drove out that way once and looked around while still in the car but never did do anything further with it. Maybe one of you folks can go and find the buried treasure that could still be out there.
I still have all the facts and stuff written down somewhere but it sure was fun to read about it in the paper at the library. Now someone go do some serious research and go find it. Jim

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe this summer i can meet you and we can take a look around...

S

seger98

Jim, is this something that happened in lower Mi?

Chris

OP
OP
Jim C.

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
seger98 said:
Jim, is this something that happened in lower Mi?

Chris

Yes it is.

sadsack

Dec 1, 2008
Benton Harbor,MI
Yes Jim C,

I was a friend of a Kent county S. for over 30 years, I know where they picked up the four hoods at. They also killed a cop in the get away. Where the gold should be is still woods.
renny

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
My Dad was there at the hotel when the bust went down. stepped over a dead deputy on the stairs. there are many theorys but the general consensus is tha the money was recovered. I lived close for many years and knew the people involved. have fun . Bob

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
It happened in Jackson County:

In 1920, six gangsters robbed the Farmer's State Bank at Grass Lake of $69,851. After the robbery, the gang fled to a rented cabin hideout on Mack Island, about 5 miles S of Grass Lake. The sheriff tracked the gang to their cabin and, in a gun-battle, killed or captured all of the members. All of the loot was recovered from the hideout with the exception of $400 in gold coins and $900 in silver dimes, quarters and half dollars. The coins, probably tossed aside because of their bulkiness, could be buried or scattered on the wooded knoll of Mack Island, or possibly strewn in one of the swamps in the area. The coins have never been recovered.

That is all I have on it.
Minstrel

BigZee

Mar 3, 2008
Southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Max
People have been looking for the money for years with no luck. The area around Mack Island was very remote in those days. Good Luck.

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
Hi Group,
I received an email from "LonesomeBob" as his family member was involved, had more information on the event than I did, I have added the info to my Michigan Treasure Archives. Having a family member involved (on the police side) right after the event puts far more accurate information on what happened and makes it much more interesting.
Thanks to LonesomeBob for additional and accurate information for my Mich. archives.
Minstrel

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
further note, the wooded knoll now has a big house on it and an operating marina. all sorts of stories abound,and for the divers it is rumored that a full pop machine including cash has been sunk through the ice in the channel at that area. FYI Bob

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread