Tale of the "wall of silver mine"up in the Keweenaw.....

USMarine1833

Jul 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B82E8E55-C87F-4F97-BE34-124AF92F5FDF.jpeg I live just south of the cliffs. And I just found out about the wall of silver. This sparked my interest. I’ve been up there, and found some sort of entrance but since I was by myself I didn’t go in. If anyone is willing to go for a hike someday I’m willing to go. Attached is a picture of the entrance I found.

MyFathersMap

Jun 15, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
N/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USMarine1833, I checked this entrance out and it’s sealed off about 25 feet or so back. C1D51038-D325-4686-820C-EADDFF0116D3.jpg

Attachments

• E6646674-7A31-4E6D-B776-273D58B08DC6.jpg
    E6646674-7A31-4E6D-B776-273D58B08DC6.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 146

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The previous posts pictures look like uphill runs for smoke from below.
Yes , smoke rises during fair weather.
And on calm days thermals mean air currents rising/going uphill in the morning as temps rise , and flowing downhill during evening cooling.

Per our author , smoke ran into the loosely sealed entrance....
Not holding the book , but suspect an evening fire.

An object ,(the greater the better like a cliff wall , but even ourselves as proven by smoke following us) can direct heated air to rise. In addition to a fires heat.
Yet can /often does reflect heat.
Must have been a heck of a draw (from air leaving elsewhere) to pull the smoke into the entrance.

Does that figure into the described entrance today?
It would if a smoke bomb or similar at a prospective entrance gets inhaled. IF the exit elsewhere still allows flow.

MyFathersMap

Jun 15, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
N/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Releventchair, there are campfire remnants near the entrance, but I didn’t think to start one myself. I like your smoke bomb idea. Fairly skeptical about this particular spot, and about the author’s tale tbh, but I do love to explore. I’ll take another look at the site. Here’s a clearer picture of the opening. D11041EC-B0A5-412A-996E-31C303A161F2.jpeg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Releventchair, there are campfire remnants near the entrance, but I didn’t think to start one myself. I like your smoke bomb idea. Fairly skeptical about this particular spot, and about the author’s tale tbh, but I do love to explore. I’ll take another look at the site. Here’s a clearer picture of the opening. View attachment 1867795

Does fit near enough being able to block it with timbers. Without needing a truckload or making an obvious logwall if brushed in after.

I never went that far N.W. in the U.P. during multiple visits , but hear it's great.
Copper country and seeing ancient sites and relics would be fun enough.
But pokin around Jakes story would be something else...

The book made it seem a tight squeeze getting around a mining company and through changes to the vehicle access route. Plus timber second growth since if allowed.
Scarce as silver is in lode form (outside of scattered samples in copper lodes) in the region, there shouldn't be any mistake once the right mine is found. More so if a certain table and other artifacts are found...

Be safe.
Good huntin.

Careful if using colored smoke in daylight. Others might notice... L.o.l..

Last edited:

USMarine1833

Jul 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed you replied! I wish it would have informed me. I did end up going back as well. With my son, a friend, and my trusty side arm in case of an animal that didn’t want to be disturbed!

5CCAA614-9888-47F1-9F4E-F7F945B292A6.jpeg A3912BBE-D8C0-4807-BE33-8BDA84A6E6EC.jpeg

USMarine1833

Jul 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does fit near enough being able to block it with timbers. Without needing a truckload or making an obvious logwall if brushed in after.

I never went that far N.W. in the U.P. during multiple visits , but hear it's great.
Copper country and seeing ancient sites and relics would be fun enough.
But pokin around Jakes story would be something else...

The book made it seem a tight squeeze getting around a mining company and through changes to the vehicle access route. Plus timber second growth since if allowed.
Scarce as silver is in lode form (outside of scattered samples in copper lodes) in the region, there shouldn't be any mistake once the right mine is found. More so if a certain table and other artifacts are found...

Be safe.
Good huntin.

Careful if using colored smoke in daylight. Others might notice... L.o.l..

This entrance is definitely within walking distance to a truck that would have had the silver put in it. But, I’m actually looking into a way different spot and the “armed” guards is definitely a true statement. But, in a different perspective. Without doing into much detail, a very well known mob family owns said property that the wall of silver is on. Obviously they have it named under a different entity. And believe me, you show up there, and you’ll be greeted in ways I don’t like. And they are definitely not yoopers. P.S. I’m still trying to find my way in.

1833 number 2

Jan 8, 2022
This entrance is definitely within walking distance to a truck that would have had the silver put in it. But, I’m actually looking into a way different spot and the “armed” guards is definitely a true statement. But, in a different perspective. Without doing into much detail, a very well known mob family owns said property that the wall of silver is on. Obviously they have it named under a different entity. And believe me, you show up there, and you’ll be greeted in ways I don’t like. And they are definitely not yoopers. P.S. I’m still trying to find my way in.
Hello, I'm also a 1833. I was wondering if you been back there since the last time you was there. I live around Rudyard on the east side of the U.P. I heard about this story and want to make it over that way in the summer. I would think that the caves would be drier I'm guessing. But this story has got me hooked on going over and looking for it. These people that greeted you did you get a name? Just wondering. I can't wait to hear and read more about the mine. Have a good night

1833 number 2

Jan 8, 2022
Re: Tale of the "wall of silver mine"up in the Keweenaw.....

i havent found any real gold yet, by buddy took some of the tailing and crushed it and did get a little after panning it out, i havent tryed that with mine. it seams that the gold is pretty much in the rock, or gold dust, i think most of it was pushed south with the glaciers
Did you ever make it up that way?

Rellie

Mar 17, 2024
Re: Tale of the "wall of silver mine"up in the Keweenaw.....

Wolverine,
I think it could certainly be arranged to meet him. I wouldn't wait too long, he's pretty feeble looking now. Must be late 80s or so.
If you let me know I can get ahold of him. He still does book signings and so forth, but I think if we called him he would love to sit down and talk about it. I took an immediate liking to him, very nice guy.

Thompy,
The mine was supposedly worked by some very early miners that lived a winter or two with one of the tribes. The entrance of the mine caved in, and they had to dig an escape tunnel. They didn't survive the next winter...... There is certainly a lot of historical research in the book. It is a very enjoyable read. If you can't find one up there let me know, it is in every book store in this area. (Petoskey to Traverse City)

Good Luck and stay warm!
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread