jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some 1800 years, beginning abruptly about 3000 BC, some industrious peoples mined ore equivalent to 500,000 tons of copper from Michigan's Isle Royale and Keweenaw Peninsula. Who were these mysterious miners, and what happened to all all that copper? It certainly hasn't been found in the relics of North American Indians. And where was the ore smelted?

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf090/sf090a01.htm

America's Mysterious Furnaces

Casting In Mold Found At Pit Furnace Site
Stone Masonry At Spruce Hill? -- Spruce Hill Furnaces Melted Copper?
Copper Casting At Cahokia? -- 1,000 B.C. In Michigan? --

http://www.iwaynet.net/~wdc/

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it probably ended up in the US cent. Some 1800 years later, there was a half a million tons of zinc unaccounted for...

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E.T. bring back the copper....

Mojohand

Oct 18, 2008
rockwood mi
Detector(s) used
Fisher f-70,minelab quattro, garrett ace250
we will make a long distance call to uranus :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :blob1: and ask if we can have the copper back nicely and tellem they can keep it if it smells

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Don't remember where I read it, but somebody put forward the idea that some of the copper listed as part of King Solomons hoard may have come from these mines. Timing would be in the right neighborhood....................

Diggem'

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what i am told a lot of copper pieces have been found in sanilac county and there is no copper there..lot of indian carvings in stone that the dam kids ruined by spray painting it

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
there was allot of trading between the Indians, all along the Mississippi, out east to NY. i read a book that talked about much went to the Egyptians, supposedly some of the copper there was tested and matches the copper from the UP

S

seger98

Thompy said:
there was allot of trading between the Indians, all along the Mississippi, out east to NY. i read a book that talked about much went to the Egyptians, supposedly some of the copper there was tested and matches the copper from the UP

Thompy, did you read the book "The Ancient Mines of Gitchegumee" (<<<Spelling)? The author of this book believes they traded with the Caspians.

You are right about the amount of trading these people did. I have found 4 spots so far that I believe were "Communities" that I have found several pieces of copper at each spot! It's still amazes me how much is out there.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
haven't read the book Chris, one that i read talked about trade with the Phoenicians, who traded in the Mediterranean and with the Egyptions, it also talked about the Celtic, and Danish coming here for copper, i mentioned Phoenician coins being found on Isle Royal. a couple years ago i remember in W&E or Lost T they had a short article about an inscription found on a island i believe near NY that was written in Celtic that was translated to "cargo in way of Phoenicia". so who knows, it also said a Celtic Prayer Stone was found in the Ford River near Escanaba<sp
i thought the book did alot of reaching, but much was intresting and possible. I have to get a hold of that book and check it out, thanks Chris

S

seger98

Thompy said:
haven't read the book Chris, one that i read talked about trade with the Phoenicians, who traded in the Mediterranean and with the Egyptions, it also talked about the Celtic, and Danish coming here for copper, i mentioned Phoenician coins being found on Isle Royal. a couple years ago i remember in W&E or Lost T they had a short article about an inscription found on a island i believe near NY that was written in Celtic that was translated to "cargo in way of Phoenicia". so who knows, it also said a Celtic Prayer Stone was found in the Ford River near Escanaba<sp
i thought the book did alot of reaching, but much was intresting and possible. I have to get a hold of that book and check it out, thanks Chris

Yeah, there was a lot of reaching in the book I read as well, but he did do a good job of tying things together, I'll let ya read the book when I get back up there, it's in my storage unit & I'll just send it over to you. Chris

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the missing copper was the reason the Bronze age began. It's estimated that the Bronze age began about 3300 BC, and the copper was mined around 3000 BC. I think one of the ancient civilizations came here and mined it. I don't know why they didn't colonize or leave any traces though. I mean besides the open pit mines.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Being seasonal work ,the evidence left suggests a long period of mining occurred.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Been watching a Net flix series on this guy that calls himself an forensic archeologist and he did an episode on that...
Claims a lot of the copper that ended up for use in the bronze age was actually mined from there....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions