"Buried,lost treasure in Michigan",by Thomas P. Terry,I think the name is...

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
"Buried,lost treasure in Michigan",by Thomas P. Terry,I think the name is...

...I wonder how many of them fables are accurate??I have that one, and in there is a story in there about how the soldiers buried a payroll of gold/silver coins somewhere inside the fort at FORT MICHILIMACKINAW,up in Mackinaw City,during chief Pontiac's uprising,in the 1700's.After supposedly burying it;all the whites were killed;and the fort burned by the Indians....A few years ago,I brought this story up to one of the college archaeologists that was there while they were doin a historical dig there-She said she felt it was "extremely unlikely" that they had ANYTHING like that to bury-That was the end of civilization for them,and nowhere to spend it if they had it.AND I THINK THIS WAY-If I had an Indian after me back then that was gonna plant a tomahawk in the back of my head;the LAST thing on my mind would be to bury ANYHING..."Hold on a minute- let me bury this payroll before ya do me in"....... :dontknow:

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also think this is unlikely.

Treasure legends are MOSTLY (there are a FEW exceptions) started by "missing money" stories that are in reality a cover for somebody STEALING it or the result of inaccurate information getting altered to make the reteller appear more "interesting."

sadsack

Dec 1, 2008
Benton Harbor,MI
There is treasure out their, a lot of it. You need two things to find it. I have made my living at hunting for 60 years. I had good times and bad times, but no boring times. The two things you need to know are:

1. That it exist. You have to have found about it in some type of research or been told about it.

2. Don't go looking for it until you are sure it exist at one time.
You need many different sources that point right to your hunt.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is treasure out their, a lot of it. You need two things to find it. I have made my living at hunting for 60 years. I had good times and bad times, but no boring times. The two things you need to know are:

1. That it exist. You have to have found about it in some type of research or been told about it.

2. Don't go looking for it until you are sure it exist at one time.
You need many different sources that point right to your hunt.
You ever look for the original fort St. Joseph?

sadsack

Dec 1, 2008
Benton Harbor,MI
I can't find that email, I had a computer die on me and I lost a lot of stuff. One the the guy's from MSU that was working up at the fort told me they found a leather pouch that had 31 coins in it.
Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread