UP Michigan

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
During the 1870s, Michigan was experimenting with prohibition under a state Dry Act. About two miles from the town was the Hole in the Ground saloon, operated by Alph Berlanquette. It was patronized by furnace employees, particularly on weekends and paydays. The Jackson Iron Company made an earnest effort to enforce the state prohibition law in the township, but without much success.

Berlanquette's saloon was on the shore of Sand Bay and rum runners were as active bringing liquor from Green Bay, Wis., as later bootleggers were bringing the wet stuff across the Detroit River in the 1930s.

Berlanquette died, and the Hole in the Ground saloon was taken over by Jim Summers, a notorious character, who soon converted the place into an infamous resort. It lasted until the respectable residents of the town were aroused by the story of a girl who had been lured there from Milwaukee. She escaped, and when Summers tried to force her to return, a mob descended on the brothel. Summers was beaten and the building burned. Summers left Fayette in a hurry.

Fayette and the surrounding countryside have been the scene of many feverish treasure hunts. There are several stories of buried gold, some of them legendary and others more plausible. The one in which more credence is placed, however, is the tale of the hoarded money of saloon owner Berlanquette.

Berlanquette's profits were believed to be immense. He spent little and never dealt with a bank, but when he died he left his widow penniless. The supposition was that he had cached his money as he did his liquor, in a cave. After his death, all the caverns in the region were explored, and much digging was done. No evidence has ever been found that this cache was discovered.

Trapper Buck

Jan 6, 2011
goldther said:
HI;
I can tell you a little story about that cache if your interested. e-mail [email protected]
I can tell you everything there is to know about this one as I live a few miles from the site and have hunted it.There's alot more to the story than whats been printed and I've done considerable research on this,as well as heard the story handed down from the older generation when I was a kid. Trapper Buck

grogthefrog

Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be most interested trapper buck...going to be up in Fayette in a week...

Nathandrake96

Jan 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way to get in contact? Curious to learn more

I can tell you everything there is to know about this one as I live a few miles from the site and have hunted it.There's alot more to the story than whats been printed and I've done considerable research on this,as well as heard the story handed down from the older generation when I was a kid. Trapper Buck
Any way to get in contact? Curious to learn more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread