Dans michigan treasure stories......New thread :)

BobbysFace

Greenie
Dec 7, 2012
Muskegon/Fruiptort
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it but I agree. It's getting pretty rough in areas. I do carry a gun where permitable. My dad and I have been out a handful of times this year and he had a few good finds. An old trap from the 50's and a 1900 barber dime.

Good luck searching.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan like ready about your research , do you have anything around Owosso or Kalamazoo ?

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
sorry about the delay response .....ill look in my collection, one of these days im going to file it all by area but its all a mess in one folder...lol
dan

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out this location today. Dressed in camo so the hoodlums couldint see me. It was like a minefield, holes everywhere but i was able to find some historicall items i dug up.
Is it in the Heights near crackhouse central?

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
heres a new one

caro.PNG
even though they don't say anything else, you have to wonder if a person like this didn't bury some money also on his property
name and a location a lilttle researche could get you a name on a plat map

Dan

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little far away right now but another excellant find.

Caro is a city in and the county seat of Tuscola County, Michigan, United States. The population was 4,229 at the 2010 census and 4,145 at the 2000 census. Caro is located northeast of Flint and east of Saginaw in Michigan's Thumb region.

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
i actually located this guy on a census and a plat map, but im not going to give it all up, as with a lot of stuff i post on here, only the serious people will track some of these down.... I have more coming...

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the shootings there I would not try anymore

Tori_Gold89

Greenie
Oct 12, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan
Do you know if there are any stories for newaygo area? Very interested in home town legends /lore that I can follow up on

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I'm very interested in hearing about any Barry county stories, I have a ton of connections in northern Barry western Ionia and southern Kent counties. I have a ton of newspapers from the 20's that I found while remodeling my house, I plan on doing some reading in those as well as continuing to talk with the old timers.
Kyle-

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
NEW CLIP 1-17-2019

nothing but a name and a location someone with the census info, plat maps etc, i would estimate it owuld take ma half a day to track down more info on this but lets see if anyone comes up with some on their own..... homer mich 1896.JPG

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
another

branch county?
By 1842 the continued growth in the eastern portion of Branch County gave them enough votes to win moving the county seat from Branch to Coldwater, and the one-time county center started down the slippery slope of no return to becoming a ghost town.
The final blow came when an offer to build a new grist mill at Branch for a price of only $75 was declined. The men then located the new mill on the river in Coldwater. The center for commerce in Branch County had found a new home.
By 1905 only a single building remained of the once active community of Branch. Today, only some buried building foundations and the cemetery remain as reminders of a lost community ... a ghost town.
So, what about the buried treasure? Well, one of the landowners and residents of Branch was a fellow by the name of Isaac Middaugh.
The time was 1838 and Michigan was a true frontier state, including horse thieves, robbers and some unique opportunists of very questionable character. In the village was the Barlingame’s Hotel, known across the area as a wild roadhouse for Saturday night partying.
It seems that Isaac planned to attend the tavern’s frontier dance, but was fearful of leaving his money at home, alone. There was no bank in Branch, and he certainly had no intention of taking his loot to the roadhouse with him and inviting a robbery.
So, he waited until early nightfall, after the moon had risen, then took a spade and went to the west bank of the Branch creek. Going to the north side of the roadway along the creek he tied his gold coins in a canvas bag and proceeded to bury them for safe keeping.
The next morning, still suffering from the effects of the prior night’s folly, he discovered that he could not relocate the point at which he had buried the gold. Try as he might, and $200 in gold coins in 1838 was worth the effort, he simply could not uncover the canvas bag.
So, Isaac’s loss became another piece in the fatal story of a village that grew from an open field as the county seat, prospered, failed and never relinquished its buried gold treasure.
I wonder! On a full moon night can you still find Isaac digging in the mud along the shore of the Branch Creek?

found this in the times archive!

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
off to a good start, lemme know if you need any help or find anything else.... time to get out the plat maps...good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread