Michigans lost colony ( Ora Labora )

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent herd of treasure here but thats not stopping me from checking it out, have any of you guys on here ever herd of it? I was out their yesterday and didnt have any luck finding the original site but ill be back out their soon.

https://ora-labora.org/
Ora Labora was known as “Christian German Agricultural and Benevolent Society of Ora et Labora” (Pray and Work), where members could combine work with prayer, and live according to the Methodist Church Discipline. Established on the shores of Michigan’s Wild Fowl Bay in 1862, the colony operated until 1867.

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of it. Good luck.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't either, hope you pull some relics and coins!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the Ora Labora historic group not have a general location of the site?
Here is some info that may help get started.
Library of Congress 1875 map of Huron county showing Rev. Emil Baur name on quite a bit of land especially land along the shoreline. 1875 was a few yrs after the colony ended but I feel the land ownership was correct still. Which 740 acres he had for the colony should be in here somewhere. Zoom in and check it out. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012593148/
Another article: Lost In Michigan | The Lost Colony of Ora LaboraThe Lost Colony of Ora Labora - Lost In Michigan
Maybe a group of detectorists can contact the group in the link you provided and get permission to search and find something to help pin down the location better and time period. This may create a possible search as long as everyone will give what's found to help establish the monument they want to obtain for the historic site.
Hope this helps
Jon

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Have not heard of it either.

The original Ft. St. Joseph was a ways south on this side , but would be interesting too. More familiar turf ,though vaguely.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baur Family still owns land around the site and it appears a company named Old Colony Farms owns the land the campsite was on, i have not done any relic hunting on this property only searched for the site, the cemetery is big and not maintained, from what iv read it looks like it may be a historical site in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread