THE LOST PAYROLL – 1862

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
A Minnesota Story

In 1862 a troop of soldiers where transporting an army payroll from Fort Snelling to Fort Ripley. Near Blue Hill Township, they were informed by a dispatcher of a nearby Indian uprising and were ordered to bury the payroll and proceed immediately to Mankato. Only the paymaster and one other soldier knew where the payroll was buried, and both were later killed. The treasure’s location remains unknown.

There is also this slightly different version of the Fort Snelling – Fort Ripley gold story. It was told to the writer by Aaron McDonald of Zimmerman in 1978. His version indicated that the soldiers had made contact with some Indians just north of Elk Lake along Battle Brook. This would place the location of the event in Baldwin Township.

It was getting dark when the soldiers buried the two saddlebags of gold coins under the roots of an oak tree. The soldiers whipped the packhorse, sending it off into the night towards Fort Ripley. The Indians thought the soldiers were escaping and followed the packhorse. Meanwhile the soldiers escaped and returned to Fort Snelling.

A fire burned through the area later that year and when the troop came back in the spring they were unable to find the gold. No one can confirm the absolute truth of the above legends. The information on which they are based was handed down verbally through several generations of people. But there appears to be sufficient consistency to believe that they are more fact than fiction or imagination. There probably was a sizable amount of gold buried in Blue Hill or Baldwin Townships and, from what we can surmise; it is probably still there today.

From: "There's Gold in Them Thar Hills" by Sherburne County Historical Society

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Hey Wetgreenie, nice story. My grandfather lived across the river from Fort ripley. His boyhood home was taken over by the US government and is now one of many homes and Farms that make up Camp Ripley.I think that was in the 1930's or 40's. He also remembered the dirt wagon trail used to go from Brainerd thru Ft Ripley to Little Falls which of course was eventually tarred and now recently made into a four lane Hwy.
Its mind boggling to think of the items lost and buried under roads,etc. I'll have to look thru a CD I recieved from Kellyco about lost treasure in Mn,Ws and the dakotas.Maybe I can add some stories too.
I read your post to BK about not finding older stuff and lately i feel your pain. Been on a cold streak!
Good luck to both of us-- Bk too!! ;D ;D
HH

My Grandparents passed away before I started this Hobby, the questions I could ask now!!!

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
"My Grandparents passed away before I started this Hobby, the questions I could ask now!!!"

Oh I know what you mean!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread